Sale Barn Calf has cough

chicks & ducks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:(
Just went out to feed our sale barn calf(got him wednesday) and he has a lil cough. Don't know temp yet, will check, but just came back to the house to get another bottle for different calf and thought I'd post here. I gave him a shot of BoSe when we got him. I had a bottle of pennicillin in the house for the horses but just checked the date and it's expired. :( Will to to tractor supply this morning but not sure what to get. Any thoughts on anything? Should I cut back a feeding for now? He's been eating calf starter and even the hay(bedding) that he was laying on. We're not forcing it, just made it available and he gobbles it up.
Will come back with a temp later.
thanks guys
:(

lovinlivinlife

Just born
Reaction score
I wouldnt cut the feed. (watch for scours, though)

That temp is pretty good, actually.

I'd get some Vet Rx and some nuflor (from the vet) to treat for pneumonia/shipping fever.

chicks & ducks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Will do! Just out of curosity I googled Vetrx(I'm learning all the time!). However I couldn't find a specific calf version, birds and goats and dogs even, but not calf. Should I use the goat one? Is it just a natural decongestant? There's no mucus coming from the nose but baby cow does have a lil goopey eye.

lovinlivinlife

Just born
Reaction score
yep. I use the same thing for all the critters. VetRx for the dogs, goats, birds.......even myself (but that was an accident. still worked though)

Latest posts