Sale barn calf has pneumonia. Had a shot of draxxin two days ago

chicks & ducks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know I know-it's a risk you take when you buy sale barn calves... :(

One of the calves we brought home monday has pneumonia. I knew by monday night that it was sick-called vet/neighbour down an she confirmed that it was pneumonia. She gave him a ($15!!) shot of draxxin and his fever was gone by morning and he was eating ok. Then in the afternoon his appetite tapered off a bit(probably only had about 1.5 bottles all day where the other two were taking a full gallon over 3 feedings). Today his temp is only 102.7(still down for 104 monday) but he just doesn't seem 100%. Just wondering if it's worth getting some banamine? I have been reading about this, seems to be everyone's go to med for fever and lung lesions. The thing is-I don't think he really has his fever any more. Temp of 102.7 was taken in a toasty warm barn after a warm bottle feeding. But breathing seems like a struggle still.
We won't likely get any more calves this year(especially from a sale barn) so I don't want to buy a massive bottle of banamine, not sure if I can even get the paste. BUT I will get it if you all think it'll help!

BTW I'm also putting Neomycin sulfate powder in all 3 sale barn calf's bottles as recommended by neighbour/dairy farmer whom I deeply respect! She's also suggested that after today)last day of neomycin) I start adding a pro-biotic mix(can't think of the name-came in a little foil pack and cost a fair amount) so I will do that tomorrow.
Any other thoughts, advice, opinions or (sad face!) CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is appreciated. I won't deny being new to calves, but I'll do anything for them! :)

she-earl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A toasty, warm barn may not be the best. There should be fresh air exchange but the calves should have a dry, draft free area. The "stuffiness" of the barn could be creating some problems. How was the draxin given? What breed are they? We feed our Holstein calves 2 quarts of warm milk twice a day. They should also have access to fresh water and calf starter feed. We have attended various calf raising meetings and have learned that the calf's rumen cannot handle hay until they are six-weeks-old.

chicks & ducks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Draxxin was given sq, he's a holstein(only 75lbs) and we haven't given them starter feed yet-I've been waiting til they were 2 weeks old to put it out. The other two healthy holsteins are eating just over 2 full bottles a day(spread out over 3 feedings) though one of them didn't take her evening feed so she's only had about a bottle and a half. The sick little fella has fresh water but scoured this evening. Gave him half a bottle of electrolites(I knew he wouldn't take a full bottle-hasn't had a full bottle of anything yet-usually can just about take half at the most). I also put some prebiotics in. I will give him the other half of the packet in the morning instead of his normal milk.
Talked to the lady at my co-op and she gave me this stuff called Biomin?! it's apparently all natural=oils and fats and herbs. She said 8 squirts in the mouth 2x a day will help. Right now if you said feed him 6 bananas and a fish I'd do it if I thought it'd save him!

she-earl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would put the starter in front of them right away. I would also feed two quarts of warm milk twice a day. You don't want to overfeed on milk because of scouring possibility. They should still be hungry after drinking the milk but the calf starter and water should be available to fill them up. If they all weigh around 75 pounds, I would only give three pint of milk twice a day. The electrolytes don't provide nutrition so you should alternate feedings of milk and electrolytes. You can give a back to back feeding of electrolytes if the scours are pretty bad. I would again only give him three pint of milk twice a day or I would even consider giving him only two pint and work up to three pint. When they are also eating calf starter, I would gradually increase the milk until you are at four pint twice a day.

chicks & ducks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks so much! I had another one scour in the meantime and I'm nearly positive it's from over feeding! My little jersey we got at 3 days old takes 2 full bottles a day and wants more and he was 75lbs at the most! So did our first Holstein-gobbles them down and begs for more! However this lil lady just wasn't interested in her 3rd (bucket) by the end of the day, kind of just drank it because it was there but there definitely was no sense of urgency like with the others. Gave her electrolites instead of a feed last night which she took but only if she could suck my fingers IN the bucket at the same time. (Does that make sense-that's how I taught this group to bucket feed-let them suck my fingers then lowered hand into the bucket and opened fingers so they could get milk while they sucked. Now they drink the milk out of the bucket with no problems. Maybe she just wanted the extra comfort or something?) Anyway, off to feed morning feeds! Thanks so much!

she-earl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That is the way I start our calves also. I just have a bull calf from an AI sire we had not used before and he was STUBBORN. If I know that they know where the milk is and just want babied by using my fingers, I will put my hand on the top of their head and push it into the bucket. Most fight a little bit and then do it on their own. Sometimes a stubborn one might miss a feeding and it changes their attitude. However, this last one would not cooperate. When his nose touched the milk without my fingers, he would slosh the milk out while fighting and only getting partial feedings of milk didn't change his attitude. We have a neighbor that has been getting our bull calves after I have them trained to a bucket. It is easier for his children to care for them if they are trained. I told my husband that I would give the calf one or two more chances at the bucket. If he didn't cooperate, I would go back to the bottle and put him on the cattle truck. The calf must have heard. I dumped the milk in his bucket and stood back around the corner where I could watch without him seeing me. He banged around in it for awhile and then drank. He is now at the neighbors. I hope they will all do good for you.