Salt licks and mineral suppliments

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We are fairly new to cattle and want to know if it is a neccessary to have a salt lick and or mineral suppliments for your cows? If so, what is the purpose? Thanks so much!

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Salt is necessary in every living thing. So are certain minerals. For sure, your cattle need salt, and depending on the ration you're feeding, they most likely need minerals. Consult your local extension agent to see what minerals are needed in your area.

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Know from the start that cattle seldom get enough minerals if you just give them mineral blocks. Just can't lick enough to get the correct volume. Adding minerals to a grain mix can often get the minerals into the cattle in correct proportions faster and easier. Some folks provide minerals free choice, which works for them.

We are very Selenium poor here, so I had to add Selenium and Vit E to our cattle in their daily handful of grain to get enough into them. Doing this additive got the heifer's heat cycles regulated for easy breeding, so worth taking the time to do. Cattle also got some other vitamins, A and D and micro minerals, which equalled about 1/2 teaspoon each, daily. We only have a couple at a time, so this daily feeding only takes a couple minutes here. More than a couple bovines, you will need to figure something else out.

I have been learning constantly with the cattle, sheep and horses, about how MUCH those small amounts of minerals affect the entire body and all the systems, from reproduction to quality of hoof and hair, digestion. And how wrong things can go if animals lack vital nutrients in their diets.

Mineral blocks are good to have, but DO NOT provide ALL the minerals your animals may need. Or the animals may not be using mineral blocks. My only sure way to get the things they need inside them is to feed it directly to the animal on top of their grain.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
agree with above and for grassfed ops like us we include molasses lick, salt blocks and we mix anything else needed in with shredded beet pulp

herfrds

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We feed a loose free choice mineral to all of our cattle, they get it year round. We also include a trace mineral salt block because that is pretty much all we have to pick from except 2 others our cows never touched.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I chose to use Salatin's mix for various reasons and was happy with the results for both my cows and sheep. He uses sea kelp meal and salt, claims he hasn't had a case of pink eye since using this mix and also claims his cows will consume low quality hay better if offered this supplement free choice.

I like using free choice, as it seems like they regulate their needs very well by themselves. I know that when I would forget to fill their mineral feeder and would finally get around to it, they would really delve into it right away like they had really needed it. Then after that they would just nip at it now and again.

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Very interesting. Thank you all for your responses. I purchased a salt lick yesterday and then saw that the Blue Seal store also sold minerals which is what promted my question. I will try checking with our cooperative extention to see what they would recommend for minerals around here. Again, many thanks and be blessed!

Latest posts