Samssimonsays: Blazing Acres journal

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
:lol:
Guess you have to carry the feed in a covered bucket in the future.
She is the only one who doesn't go into the coop too. Every night I lead them back and they all go in willingly. EVEN THE CRAZY DUCKS. I do a quick head count (they move so fast that I guess I can't count accurately) and close them in. I go into the house clean the eggs and look out the window to see her standing outside the coop.... GAH. She is so frustrating!

samssimonsays

Reaction score
Frustrating enough to be dinner??
I bought 5 Icelandic chicks last spring... they are not cheap by any means. Of course we lost both roosters and one hen so we are down to 2 hens... This frustrating chicken is one of them.... :barnie If she does a cheap shot again, she very well may be dinner.... I get that she was excited for dinner but I will not tolerate that behavior....

samssimonsays

Reaction score
Is your coop a walk in? I toss their evening scratch into the coop. That slows them down so I can count. If they are all there I close the barn door. If not, I go outside, close the door and find the errant hen(s).
It is a walk in run. but a small inside that they all pile in to. Her fate is unknown whether it be by me or a predator. part of having free range chickens we are prepared for.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, that being the case, I think I'd rather that I got to eat the chicken dinner as opposed to letting the wildlife have it. All that feed you've been giving her wasn't free. :hu

samssimonsays

Reaction score
Well, that being the case, I think I'd rather that I got to eat the chicken dinner as opposed to letting the wildlife have it. All that feed you've been giving her wasn't free. :hu
Unfortunately she's a $50 bird at her age :barnie . I don't really want a $50 mcnugget either :lol: She's an Icelandic hen... They aren't much for eatin. :he I doubt I will get any more of the breed. I LOVED the roo's tho. They didn't crow, didn't fight, were complete gentlemen and babies. Too bad the one couldn't handle all the ladies and he killed himself :hide We had a rough go with all the males last year.

Latest posts