Samssimonsays: Blazing Acres journal

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
It was a pretty great weekend last weekend. My mom and I took a much needed girls trip and drove 7 hours down to Janesville Wisconsin, 1.5 hours from Chicago Illinois roughly I believe? and had a nice and relaxing Friday at the hotel with some shopping and dinner as well as enjoying the hot tub ;) Then Saturday morning we woke up bright and early and made the final 32 miles to pick up baby Chess the Nubian buckling.
20180520_095831.jpg 20180520_095849.jpg 20180520_095900.jpg Fotor_152690445404519.jpg
He is everything and more than I could have ever wanted/imagined. Born 4/27 and spoiled absolutely rotten already. On our way back, we swung in and got to tour @Hens and Roos farm. I absolutely love her set up! I would probably still be raising rabbits if I had half of her set up LOL . It was a great time and she got to meet the little guy as well. We transported Amelia and her kids back towards me for a friend who was looking for a heavy cream milker to make soaps and lotions with and she is settling in well with her. I am waiting for my Ducklings to arrive (supposed to come 5/17 but after calling they informed me it wouldn't be until 5/31 :rolleyes:) Then once he's weaned, I will be bringing home a second Nubian buckling and that should finish off our herd of goats nicely! I can't wait to see what babies Chess and Ellie throw next year! :fl And yes, it really still is cold enough up here that he was in that sweater until 1 PM Sunday... o_O

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I like your new buckling. Trying to decide how involved I want to get in the Nubian breed. Blossom is such a sweetheart!
They are my favorite. LOL. I am NOT an Alpine person. Or a Nigie person. and Lamancha ears freak me out. I like my Nubians and their personality and temperament best. But that's just me.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are my favorite. LOL. I am NOT an Alpine person. Or a Nigie person. and Lamancha ears freak me out. I like my Nubians and their personality and temperament best. But that's just me.

I like my Nigies thus far. They are all really personable and know their names. I like the size of the bucks and that I can manage them by myself. (DH is willing to help but we are so busy that it helps that I can do what needs done except rare occasions. Also, the original Boers were bought as my pets/project and he always had to help. I thought I loved them. Now I wish I’d just started with dairy! Lol)

As far as the Lamancha ears, they’ve grown on me. My two doelings are awesome! Sparkle is more like a dog than a goat. She knows who her mama is!

Blossom isn’t loud. In fact, I’ve never heard her make a noise...not sure she can! I’ll have to pay more attention. DD2 was petting her this afternoon when Blossom’s head was over the gate. Miss Blossom loves ALL attention!

I have considered asking someone we know with some Nubians if they are tested. I’d use one of their bucks as a stud to breed Blossom for purebred full-size Nubians versus Minis...hmmmm...