SandyNubians Kidding Thread

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Huge single buckling. There was no water bag first, it was just his bubble and I thought that was kinda weird. He was coming out with one leg back and his head pointed down. 16 minutes of hard pushing and fire was starting to rip her vulva and I knew I had to do something. I was going to push him back in to re-position but I realized he was already breathing and but his tongue was turning purple. Called the vet and she walked me through she told me I was probably gonna have to push the kid back in and reposition him as it was likely he might not even survive plus I would be saving my doe. So I pushed him back in and finally got it sorted out and I got him out about 5 minutes after I had first gone in. I thought he was gone already but after a minute of rubbing, i saw him take a breath! His umbilical cord was super short which is why I think he was breathing before making it out. Fire is doing ok, working on passing the placenta now. The buckling is still a little week and has a few problems breathing but he is also doing okay for the most part. I'll get some pics when things calm down a bit.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You did a great job! :thumbsup So glad he is breathing!

ETA, I love your Mini-Toggenburg doe! :love

Last edited:

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here he is! He is a keeper for sure! Fire doesn't want anything to do with him, she won't let him nurse and she rams him whenever he comes within 5 feet of her. I will try to put him with her again soon, and I'll try tomorrow if that doesn't work. So, for now, he is a bottle baby. I've gotten him to take about 6 ounces of colostrum and he is doing pretty good on a bottle.View attachment 34120
DSC_0086 (1).JPG
DSC_0088 (1).JPG
DSC_0087 (1).JPG
DSC_0089 (1).JPG

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
My Lamancha doe CC who was born a little over a week ago wasn't abandoned by her mom, she just would not nurse. No matter how hard I tried I could NOT get her to take a teat. So she ended up being a bottle baby. It does have some up sides :love Thanks for sharing the pics. He's adorable!