Sarplaninac Breeding

KaleighMaeA

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a full blooded Sarp male and a 3/4th sarp 1/4th great pyr female. I was considering breeding them soon. I live in Southern Indiana and was wondering if anyone on here was looking for an cross like this. I personally love Sarps but I wasn't too sure how much interest there was in the breed around my area.

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't live in your area and quite frankly, never heard of this breed. I did a search and would have to say this dog doesn't appear to be for beginners wanting a LDG. They are very attractive, though.
What do you have to say about the breed?

KaleighMaeA

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Very down to business kind of breed. Not super affectionate, or too worried about being a "people pleaser". However, they are very protective of what they are guarding, but seems to have extremely good judgement of what that should encompass. They seem almost lazy, however if anything poses a real threat they display absolutely no fear regardless of how large of a threat it is. Will bark to warn of danger. However, spend 90% of their life extremely docile and uninterested in harming things. Maybe I've just had good luck, but have had no problems with fights between my sarps and other dogs. However, they will not tolerate any real threats to what they consider their home territory. Great all around working breed. Not good if you're looking for a friendly caring pet who wants to make you happy.

lgdnevada

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
KaleighMaeA said:
I have a full blooded Sarp male and a 3/4th sarp 1/4th great pyr female. I was considering breeding them soon. I live in Southern Indiana and was wondering if anyone on here was looking for an cross like this. I personally love Sarps but I wasn't too sure how much interest there was in the breed around my area.
I have heard they can be people aggressive, but I suppose it would also depend on the line of dog. I would think you'd do good marketing them in cold country where their thick coats could stand up to sub zero temps. You should take ads out in goat and sheep papers and magazines and aggressively market them before they are born as most people will not know what they are, just my .02 cents worth. I've never been around them. Like all unusual LGD breeds you'll have to consign yourself to explaining to people what they are, etc. I am so used to this by now, with what I raise, grin.... I have heard they can be tough dogs. Good for big predators. Wolves....???? How do they do fending them off?

I know out west people are looking into different breeds now to fight off the wolf situation. I gotta ask why didn't you get another pure female Sarplanic?

Tinka

Just born
Reaction score
Hi I have a full blooded Sarplaninac female (no papers) looking for a male Sarplaninac for breeding .she is 3 years old .I own 2 Sar.and pyr.mix ,2 full blooded Female Sar. and 1 -3/4 Sar.and Pyranese mix.They are wunderful dogs.
e-mail or call/text Gerdi
tinka1@hughes.net
615 481 3851

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I'm in Central IN and, depending on price, would be verrry interested in a male pup.

(I've got experience w/ Pyrs and Anatolians.)

KaleighMaeA

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The reason I did not get a full blooded female was because I kind of got the male in an off chance good luck moment. The female came from eastern kentucky. It is extremely difficult to find these dogs within 500 miles of where you live or for less than $1500.

KaleighMaeA

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I'm in Central IN and, depending on price, would be verrry interested in a male pup.

(I've got experience w/ Pyrs and Anatolians.)
I will definatly let you know what happens, I am also interested in using him as a stud for someone who has a female. Every if they want to cross breed with another LGD breed. I think they are awesome animals, and there are not enough of them in the US. I also hate that you can't touch one for the most part that's under $1500 dollars. I would stud my dog out of $750 and if we have puppies sell them for $500. I really would love to see the breed be more attainable.

Latest posts