sausage recipe

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have big blocks of berkshire piggie and fat in my freezer just ready to make sausages.... I tried one recipe a few weeks back but the fat to meat content wasn't good and they were dry!

I looked up recipies on line but no one is using their own pork so they don't have to fat to meat ratio...

Does any one have a "from scratch" recipe. I want english breakfast and italian.... but even the fat to meat ration would be a start :)

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A 4:1 meat to fat is standard and that is about 25% to 30%. You can go as high as 50% but that is a little greasy for my taste ...think you will be happy at 25%.

ChickenPotPie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I made my first sausage just recently. I used homegrown turkey for mine so it was very lean but delicious.

Here is one of the recipes I used. My family went nuts over it. The recipe was written for pork but the turkey substitution was great, too.

Maple Breakfast Sausage

4 ft small hog or sheep casing
3 lbs lean pork butt or shoulder
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 Tb Kosher or course salt
2 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dry mustard
3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (fine grind)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 Tb milk

Cut meat into 1" cubes. Freeze for 30 minutes before grinding through fine disk of meat grinder. Add onion and grind again. In a large bowl, combine meat mixture, salt, sage, mustard, and pepper. Mix well using your hands. Stir in maple syrup and milk and toss lightly to blend. Do not overwork the meat.

Stuff mixture into prepared casing, prick air pockets, and twist off at 3" lengths. Cut links apart and store in fridge overnight and use within 2 - 3 days or package and freeze ror later.

When we cooked this sausage, we got it nice and brown. At some point, the sugars in the maple syrup caramelize a bit and you see a bit of stringing in your pan. That's the way we like it. *slurp*

My husband and the kids go nuts over it. We'll eat it with mashed potaoes and veggies for dinner even, forget breakfast! :D