Saving a very anemic goat(Post 16, another goat)

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

ksj0225

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
20, is it good for barberpole when they are started to show signs of bottlejaw?

Also do you treat your pregnant girls or babies with this if needed?

Thanks in advance!

Kim

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
ksj0225 said:
20, is it good for barberpole when they are started to show signs of bottlejaw?

Also do you treat your pregnant girls or babies with this if needed?

Thanks in advance!

Kim
yes, Synanthic is suppose to be good for barberpole worms. I haven't really looked into using Synanthic on pregnant does.

For the pregnant does we use cydectin, if they are showing signs of being wormy. We are breeding right now, so hopefully no one will need to be wormed in the next 6 to 8 weeks, I try not to worm them right after breeding. I wont worm anyone, unless they look anemic, have sever weight lose, runny poop, look really sluggish and go off feed. I went through the herd 2 weeks before breeding and wormed everyone with synanthic that I wasn't happy with. This year it was about half the herd, but I have a lot of younger does in the herd and with the warm winter parasites have been wicked.

good luck with yours.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Adding some updates to the thread.

to finish the discussion on Synanthic, We are using it one pregnant goats. We talked to a vet and he felt confident that the only wormer you should NOT use on a pregnant goat is Valbazen.

We had another goat down and severly anemic. We are at the 24 hour point into the treatment. I thought I would outline our treatment of her so far for other people to read and since this is worm season I thought it would be a good chance to bump this thread to expose it to any new members that have not read it.
It is posted under the Diseases, Injures & Cures Index, under goats for easy reference.

found a 12 week old doe down and totally anemic, as in looked like she was bled out. She has been wormed with synanthic a week earlier due to having some scours, scours cleared up next day. The week before she was treated for coccidiosis.

We immediatley took action. This is very important.
She is 32 lbs
no scours at this point

Day 1, 7am:
Gave 1/2 cc ivermectin plus injection sub Q for iver flukes and any possible lice(didn't see any)
2 cc valbazen orally
1 cc iron dextran injection in the muscle
6 cc B-complex that is over the counter injected
2 cc penn G
250 cc IV fluids under the skin

It was noted when she did stand she woudl sway and stagger, so we decided to treat for polio and listerosis as well, although neither of these two things would have anything to do with the anemia.

12 noon:
she is worse.
300 cc IV fluid
6 cc B complex injection
2 cc Penn G
2 cc dexamethozaone(this is for listeriosis)
1/2 cc prescription Thiamin(500mg/ml) We went and got a bottle at the vets
12 cc injectable dextrose under the skin for energy
Made her stand for as long as she would.

5pm:
finished up the rest of a 1,000 ml bag of fluids
more Vitamin B complex was given
still barely standing, would buckle at the front knees and shake
Decided after consulting with someone that she needed more energy. We added Magic drench to the treatment. I gave her 30 cc or one ounce to start with.
she stood up and peed and actually seemed a little more energetic.

Magic recipe:
1 part black strap mollasses
2 parts corn syrup(light)
1 part corn oil (has to be corn)
thin with 50% dextrose so it will draw up into a syringe
if oil separates I heat in a quart jar in microwave to incorporate the oil, or if it is a cold day I heat to keep it thinner.
We use drenching/feeding syringes. If you have goats or any livestock for that matter you need a couple, we have them in 10, 30 and 50 cc's.

10:30 pm:
500 ml from a new bag of fluid
Penn G shot
B complex shot
1/2 cc thiamin shot
At this point we decided to add some protein to her diet and gave her a raw egg mixed with some magic, so she had 1 ounce magic and a raw egg.
I add probios powder to the mix.
We put alfalfa hay in front of her, being hopeful. She was very very weak and we were not too hopeful.

2nd day, 5:30am
Yay, still alive laying in a different spot than we left her. She stood up when she was startled from us coming around the corner. But still very weak in the front legs.
gave 500 ml of fluid we finished up a 2nd bag. She is showing some adema under her belly from all the fluids but is looking perkier today, walked acros the pen this morning and looked fuller in the belly, not as sunken in. but still will buckle in the front legs.
Thiamin 1/2 cc injected
B-complex 3 cc
Penn G 2 cc
1 egg and 1 ounce of Magic drench orally
picked some leaves off a tree and she at 4 or 5 leaves then she laid down to rest.
oh, we decided to worm with a stronger wormer this morning since she looked a little better so we gave her 2 cc of cydectin cattle pour on orally assuming the massive bleed out is from barber pole worms.

that brings us to know, 10 am on the 2nd day.