Saving Colostrum

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
There's no set rule. Some people never save any. I generally milk ewes that have singles once and freeze what I get from them. 4-5 oz per bag.

RockyTopFarm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok I only saved a little over 100ml bc I wasn't sure how much I should take from her.
One more question - how much does a lamb need if we had to give it colostrum?
Thanks!

RockyTopFarm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank You! Next time I will try and save more but not take it all at once.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
General rule of thumb is 10% of the body weight of the lamb in colostrum in the first 24 hours. (A 10 lb lamb should receive 16oz of colostrum in the first 24 hors, with half of that given in the first 8hours).

The antibodies in the colostrum are absorbed best in the first 8 hours, and the absorption falls off very markedly after 24 hours. Antibodies are not absorbed beyond 48 hours.

If a ewe has a good supply of colostrum or she needs to be milked off when the teats are very large and congested, collect 150ml aliquots and use them as feeds or freeze them down for later use. When you re-warm the frozen colostrum do so slowly (no microwaves!) or the antibodies will be destroyed.

So. essentially, take some colostrum from a ewe who has plenty and has just one lamb to feed.