Saw the grossest thing in the world.... please tell me this is normal!

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Chevoner said:
I like Ashley's idea; I'll probably be keeping bucks for my herd and it'd be nice to see first how 'bad' they can be.
I've heard various opinions on buck odors, so it'd be nice if we could use "smell-o-vision" too. :lol:
:lol: well after my boys start up, if you want, I'll mail you a rag with some on it so you can get a whiff.

Chevoner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
AshleyFishy said:
Chevoner said:
I like Ashley's idea; I'll probably be keeping bucks for my herd and it'd be nice to see first how 'bad' they can be.
I've heard various opinions on buck odors, so it'd be nice if we could use "smell-o-vision" too. :lol:
:lol: well after my boys start up, if you want, I'll mail you a rag with some on it so you can get a whiff.
:gig Thanks for the offer, but considering the current state of the world, it might be best not to send 'strange odors' through the mail! :gig

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Chevoner said:
:lol:

I haven't found the smell to be *that* bad, but I definitely don't want it on my stuff or clothes! I made the mistake of petting one and later touched my phone, it wouldn't come off for weeks! :sick

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Y'all are scaring the crap out of me. I have had bucks n the past, years ago. I had forgotten about this aspect of them. The reason I am now shaking n my boots is I am picking up two bucklings this weekend. One is 6 months old and will be used for breeding my girls this year and then be whethered, the other one is still on the bottle and will be kept as an intact buck for later breedings. Gulp....what am I getting myself in to. This behavior might be hard to explain to my 5 year old grandson.

ThornyRidgeII

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
buck scent seems to be an acquired smell! sometimes have to wash my hands half a dozen times before truly gone! To put it in perspective, I have a predominantly white buck (has some tan spots on him) and in full rut he is a lovely shade of golden brown.. yuck!! I have also discovered that on occasion I may have inadvertantly brushed up against one of my boys while quickly switching out water buckets and my neutered male cat goes crazy for the buck smell!!! he is nuts... rolling around, rubbing up against that part of my leg, drooling, purring, flipping around.. hmmmm not sure what to even make of this.. but it is hilarious to watch!!! forget catnip around here.. just go get some buck scent and the cat goes crazy!!!!:celebrate:weee:bun oh and I recommend highly scented soaps and body washes.. the fruitier the better during rut!;)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can smell mine 100' away but it just reminds me that fall is around the corner and then spring again. Ahh, the circle of life. I will say that my boys have changed their hair color from white to yellow for the upcoming season; only fitting as yellow is a nice fall color.

I have a nice soap that I make that removes buck odor, and other odors, quite nicely.

NaturesPace

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Does the buck smell make a difference in the does milk? I heard it can change the taste of the milk. Keeping the Bucks at a distance when milking is recommended???

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
NaturesPace said:
Does the buck smell make a difference in the does milk? I heard it can change the taste of the milk. Keeping the Bucks at a distance when milking is recommended???
I've noticed a difference yes.

Anthony Sr.

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:lol::lol:Well Y'all are making me think about using my power-washer on Lil-Billy more and more,{IF I did, it would be on low, of course...} I just have to get off the floor from laughing:lol::lol::lol:. He isn't able to reach the Female Alpine "YET"? He's a Dwarf Nigerian, only around 7-9 months, but he's been trying :love:drool:he:gig. The lady who I got him from said get him a step stool:idunno

Last edited:

Latest posts