Saying goodbye to Bailey

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thinking of you and your good dog...it's a hard thing to lose a good, good dog. Some you never fully get over. :hugs I'm so glad you were able to troubleshoot and get her some comfort despite the vets worst efforts. I too do a lot of home vetting in the face of the current greed over care protocols.

Keep us apprised of how she goes along? No drama there...only those who have had working dogs can understand the huge hole they leave in the fabric of your life and your farm.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for your support. I don’t come from a farming family and although my in-laws did farm they knew nothing about LGDs. You all know the sense of relief when the coyotes howl and the LGDs answer with the hammer of the gods volley of barks. And most of us know the sadness of loss of those dogs. But I suspect we wouldn’t have it any other way. A good day is seeing the dogs do their jobs effectively and effortlessly. Bailey is eating little but comfortable.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
A6587FFD-717E-49B1-9C97-C9E34374ACD6.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't come from a farming family either. Farming is in my heritage, my Daddy was the son of a share cropper and worked the fields from age 10 years old. But like so many, he grew up, joined the Navy and went all the way through the World War 2. Then he went to work at a job. He always gardened and fed us kids. My Mother was removed from farming by quite a few generations and had no desire to get dirty. I always had a deep desire to be on the land and had whatever garden I could on a small city lot. I kept chickens and a garden in the middle of town. LOL A lady at work offered me Paris and I took her. I had been studying LGDs and knew I wanted one. And there you go, I was off and running.

At least Bailey will come in the house so you can spoil her. She looks quite content laying on her bed.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
She's so beautiful! Doesn't look like an old dog at all, does she?

Whole fat buttermilk in her food may help....can give her an extra bit of fat and protein without taking up too much room in her gut and easy on her digestive system.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Again thank you all for your kind and helpful posts. She has started vomiting and is quite restless. We are back to a day by day thing. I’m going to try some organic plain yogurt. She has kept her evening meal so far. She must have good genetics because she was very youthful and still working two years ago. Then she told me she was done and she got house duty. She is still interested in the sheep but not guarding which is fine.