Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love reading the journals, but I think for educational type posts it is better to post it in a separate thread. The forum is kinda slow (other than the journals) and it's good to remember what the forum is about.

There are lots of newbies and those that just "lurk". But who has the time to read through the journal from the beginning?

But I think posting a small blurb on the journal with the link to the new thread is a good idea.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had a busy day today! Headed up to VA with a bunch of goats to meet up their buyers :)

Shayne went up to WV.
057.JPG

BrownEyedGirl went up with him as well. I guess if you are coming from WV it's better to come home with two goats instead of one :) Really excited for this family and for the goats. They are thrilled and are so happy this was able to happen.
Wings & Caprines Brown Eyed Girl (2).JPG

Chami (F-1 Mini) will be living in VA. His new owner just lit up when she saw him. She has loved Chami for some time and I am so glad she is getting him. She is really working on developing a good mini herd and feels that Chami will lock in some very nice traits. He has bulked up a lot since this pic was taken.
Wingin' it Farms Home of Wings & Caprines Miniature Lamancha f-1 Chami (3) - Copy.JPG

Gordy (Chami's brother) is also living in VA. The new owner has mini's but is looking to get into registered stock and doing more with the herd. I think he is great buck and will really help her "step it up". :)
Wingin' it Farms Bucks 065.JPG

Kenji will be living just over the line. His new owners saw Zephyr at a show and fell in love with her. They really want a doeling out of Zephyr, but are so excited to own a buck out of her! We did use him on a doe before he left. We were going to retain Kenji, but have 3 LM bucks (including his sire) so decided to let him go.
Wings & Caprines Kenji 3 months (2).JPG

We put a lot into our animals and I love that they are able to go to such great homes!
Seeing the happy owners, filled with excitement when they first see their new goat just makes my heart happy. :love

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are all gorgeous - each and every one.
Thanks Mike

As you all know I love love love my bucks.
It is hard to see them go but it was actually so positive because we were really happy with where they were all going.
We also have very well mannered bucks.
GW said while they were going over paperwork and chatting at the meet site the bucks were all just standing there on their leads... calm, content, no wildness, no bad buck stuff. That makes us very happy.

The one mini buck (Chami) needs about another year to fully mature, we are hoping she will show him. GW loves his buck.

We took these pics while he was in the holding pen yesterday- the girls came running lol
010.JPG 012.JPG 020.JPG

We have another buck leaving next week or so.
Possibly three more does and another buck next month.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds like you guys spent a good amount of time finding the right homes but it shows the care you have given to make it a happy ending for them. I'll say it again though - they are all gorgeous. I'm not a goat person yet but those type of animals would tempt me. :)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, since ya have a repore with the owners, then ya have to think of it as an extension of your herd...kinda like a franchise, so it's not like ya are totally losing contact, but can still keep up with their further developement....that certainly is worth not seeing them every day and tending to them, and trying to figure out how they can fit in a crowded schedule at your place....:)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds like you guys spent a good amount of time finding the right homes but it shows the care you have given to make it a happy ending for them. I'll say it again though - they are all gorgeous. I'm not a goat person yet but those type of animals would tempt me. :)

Well, since ya have a repore with the owners, then ya have to think of it as an extension of your herd...kinda like a franchise, so it's not like ya are totally losing contact, but can still keep up with their further developement....that certainly is worth not seeing them every day and tending to them, and trying to figure out how they can fit in a crowded schedule at your place....:)

We have been very blessed with amazing people for our goats. And yes, they really do become like an extension of family in a goat family way.
We want our goats to be placed for exactly what the new owner is looking for. It is kind of like placing dogs too.
Of course we are super funny about our bucks.
We get to see and hear the many horror stories about bucks. Yeah, genetics can play a role, but the main thing is knowing how to properly raise a buck.
I disagree with the philosophy of hands off, and limited interaction. It is all in knowing how to give affection to the boys and teach them appropriate affection towards people. I say this with no arrogance, nor boastfulness, but we raise some great bucks. Mostly due to @Goat Whisperer . Many of our bucks go to people who have had HORRID experiences with bucks and swore they would never own another buck. Having a lovely boy has changed the minds of so many. One of our clients now has 4 of our bucks. LOL they boys are their favorite goats! They had such a horrible experience they were terrified of ever having another... another client has two of our bucks and same thing...
It does our heart good to see that they can have a lovely animal that is also sweet and a joy- not a knucklehead. LOL

IMO it is much easier to teach good manners to bucks that are bottle raised. We have done both dam and bottle and they are all fine but the dam raised more often do have that more "herd" mentality- the dam raised boys that we have brought in over the years usually need more work in manners. It makes sense because the dam raised do use their head to "pound" on that udder to let the milk down... when they do that for several months it is just normal behavior and they tend to want to do that for attention etc unless they are constantly worked with.
With the flu at kidding season this year we had several bucks dam raised... they are not quite as affectionate as the BB's but they are good boys and have still turned out really good.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, after everyone being so sick and we are so behind on everything what do I decide to do?

Refinish all the dining room furniture! :lol:
Some of you that have been around for awhile may remember years ago I stripped all the furniture and did a whitewash and yellow. Wanted a fresh look. Our table is 9 feet long and 4 ft wide... 6 of the chairs were done to match the table- it use to be black paint for table base and parts of the chairs... the stain color was red mahogany. It was done many years ago. I bought all the furniture unfinished, finished it and so it stayed til I went to the white wash.

HATED the white wash! HATED IT! Everything stained it- in a big family the table gets alot of use... it was a nightmare... but that is why the refinishing brainstorm idea. :p

The real reason is because all my kids always say "I wish the table was the way it use to be"... these are even my adult grown moved out kids!

I thought it would be a great surprise to have it dome for thanksgiving.
:confused: what was I thinking?

It is really cool though because the kids still at home are all much older and haven't learned the skill of sanding, staining, painting etc.
So we are all working on it together! Having a team is awesome! They are so excited to make it "like it use to be".

So far the table top is almost finished being sanded back to bare wood, as well as 2 of the chairs, and the buffet.
4 chairs to go.... the other chairs are a different kind of chair... they are 100 year old solid walnut... they will stay the way they are.

Tomorrow I will start staining and painting the buffet and first two chairs- finish sanding the table top and get the stain on... hopefully the other 4 chairs will be ready for staining by afternoon!

After 2 coats of stain and 2 coats of paint and dry time I should be able to clear coat. Cure time will be a bit short but I think if we are careful it will be ok.

Wednesday evening we paint the whole room! :lol::lol::lol: Maybe Tuesday evening if we are fast... everyone is so excited!
018.JPG

020.JPG

022.JPG

And just because she is freaking adorable! Rita :love
015.JPG

Latest posts