Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I am glad it is all over.

We have learned a lot about showing over the past year.

One thing I have gotten to see is that there is sometimes a bit too much emphasis on it. It is fun but it is just a show.
There is so much more to a goat. Some of my favorite, hardiest goats will never step foot in a ring... yet they are still great goats and at the end of the day if it is all about wins, linears, stars etc then it is just a business at that point.
We have always had goats for our family first. I never want that to change.

Met some really good people through this experience too.
Also have met some people that are so competitive that by golly if your goats are doing well then you just become the competition and practically the enemy. Geesh.
I have seen lots of smoozing :lol: and kissing up :rolleyes:.
There are those that are genuine and those that aren't.

It is an amazing amount of work! :th But we are getting better organized.

Now that it is all over and we retained it is time to cut the herd down. :(
We will cut again in March after kidding.
This was the plan all along but I have to say it is excruciating. We are so very attached.

We are very blessed and have had some very beautiful and amazing animals but we MUST get the herd to a manageable number.
In the coming weeks we will have ND's, Minis,and Lamanchas available - if anyone is interested you can pm me.

Meanwhile it will be nice to get back to a more relaxed time in life. We have gone to once a day milking anyway and are weaning the last of the bottle babies. As soon as everyone is dry we will have all the way til March! That is some good "down" time. Of course the goats that freshened in August will still be milked through as well as Trouble. We aren't breeding her- she will just sty in milk.
Looking forward to do some other things this fall/ winter!

I miss not having time to be here too. Seems like I pop in and then boom busy busy busy. :(
I do try to read when I can just don't always have time to post.
I miss my @babsbag :(
I miss following so many of you guys threads. Sometimes it feels like I moved.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I miss you too. Where can we find your show results? ...never mind....found them.

Last edited:

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
You all need the rest and time to catch your breath. Life is hard to enjoy when ya are meeting yourself coming and going and it just wears ya down mentally and physically. Hope ya take some time to smell a rose or 2 anyway....:)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nice showing, you should be very very proud of all your girls, 2 and 4 legged. :)

Jenn Tereba judges quite often at our shows, she lives in CA so she was a long way from home.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @babsbag I am always proud of all my babies! :)

Speaking of 2 legged kids-

I took a video of this but I can't post it easily so I will put stills up.
My son made this as a gift for someone in his church.

All from scratch, on the fly- this is the second "box" he has made... I will see if I can find a pic of the first one!
They are very different.
This one holds treasures! The only thing missing is the velvet inside.
Honestly- in person this is freaking amazing! He is so gifted with his hands. The ribbon is 3 strips of wood, as is the bow.
Seriously I have been negging for him to make me one- yeah, his own mom, and I still don't have one.
It was over 30 hours of labor-
The young lady shows Boer Goats- I love the wood burning of the Boer on the inside!

003.JPG
004.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 63

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
That bow is amazing and the wood burning is perfect. It looks like I see some scroll work on the inside too?? Really beautiful work, the "friend" is a very lucky young lady. Very very nice.

Latest posts