Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goat Whisperer and I (Southern by choice) decided we would like to do a journal together. We both own our own herds but we also co-own many goats together.

We have both worked very hard and tried to be very selective in all we do. We are very blessed and are proud of what we have accomplished.

We discuss everything concerning breeding, planning, milking, management, and direction of our herds. There have been times of disappointment, discouragement, excitement, hope, stress, joy, and amazement.

Goat Whisperer tends to focus on certain areas, I focus on others. I think we have a really great balance. We wanted to start this journal and share some of what we do, the whys, the hows, and other things we have learned along the way.

My (SBC) focus are Lamanchas and Miniatures Lamanchas.
Goat Whisperers is primarily Nigerian Dwarfs. Although she pays alot of attention and co-owns some Lamanchas. The mini's are not far behind. ;)
She can tell you about that. We also do some Miniature Nubians.

Today we took some pics of some animals we may be listing for sale... however we are wishy washy on a few. :D

I'll start with my 2 Mini- Lamancha boys. In hopes that it encourages others I have included some how's and why's. ;)

I think GW will be posting about one of her bucks.

So these two boys are from Star's triplets last year (2015). We sold the doeling - which we really regretted but there is a long story behind that. We may be able to buy the doe back but now that she has freshened and is producing so well for a FF that may not happen. We did list the boys but I took them down as I was not comfortable with them just going anywhere.

We worked so hard at lining up the matings- we didn't just throw a standard and a dwarf together. That is a big thing... SELECT for strengths and what you want to bring out. We NEVER breed for EARS. Nor eyes.

Originally I liked the Chamois and contemplated wethering the black buckling. I ended up waiting... and GLAD I did. The black one doesn't photograph well but he ended up really coming around. We kept both. With the tragic loss (accident) of their dam and their sister sold, this was a blessing that we kept them. We will keep one but sell the other. Their dam was a slow grower and they have followed. The black one was a little wild getting pics because he kept running to the trees but you can still see the following.

Topline! Beautiful topline! RUMP! Rear width leg placement, strength of shoulder, length! These boys are gorgeous. This was a great line up! Star is gone but I do have her half sister. I may put the buck over her and hopefully get some does. :) Very proud of what they produced.

We have used the buck that sired these boys and have been very happy. That is a big thing! KEEP offspring around so you know what your buck is doing. Use that buck on several does with different udders etc... this will tell you what your bucks does.

There is no setting up, no pinching, no leg placement being done.
Look at that topline and rump. :love
Wingin' it Farms Bucks 052.JPG

You can see the "Dalton's Way" in this buck!
Wingin' it Farms Bucks 065.JPG

I was trying to get his front width and rear width in this pic
Wingin' it Farms Bucks 069.JPG

Wingin' it Farms Bucks 075.JPG

Wingin' it Farms Bucks 076.JPG

Wingin' it Farms Bucks 078.JPG

Wingin' it Farms Bucks 080 (1).JPG

First generation Mini's need to be SPECTACULAR! Never breed a mediocre doe with a mediocre buck for first generation mini's. Look at strength and weekness and select carefully. Your f-1 can be a great foundation.

I see many f-3 and f-4's that ended up with horrific udders because of breeding for a "name", "ears" or "noses". Be smart. It takes time and work to get great mini's.:) We will keep working at it and maybe one day we will have American or PB Miniatures!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well said southern. I am hoping to learn a lot from you to. Love how that buck stands :love. Now my question is how do you get them to stand like that?

Well, we do have grain ... because if not they run straight for the woods. LOL Some just stand there nicely. I cannot "set" up a goat to save my life. :lol:
I like to see how a goat just "stands".

I absolutely love all your goats! :love
Thanks. They sure are big babies! :D

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we do have grain ... because if not they run straight for the woods. LOL Some just stand there nicely. I cannot "set" up a goat to save my life. :lol:
I like to see how a goat just "stands".
I will have to try using grain. Thank you.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
WARNING: Pic heavy!

This is my lil' man Flint. He is out of my ND Leah & Will (Southerns)
For those that remember the little quad "Bunny" out of the 2015 kids, this is her brother! He is a handsome boy, in my eyes anyway :) I liked him from day 1. I said that I loved his feet and legs and it still holds true! Flint has great width between his rear legs, along with a nice topline & rump. This is his natural stance, his back was not "pinched" to make him stand this way. He is turning into quite the little man :) I have been back and forth about selling this buck. I don't really need him as we have many polled goats and he is polled too, but I really like this buck! He has his sires gentle temperament and is the most laid back buck. He also has the same manners his sire has, and that is another thing I just love about this boy!
Wingin' it Farms Bucks 017.JPG

Wingin' it Farms Bucks 018.JPG

Wingin' it Farms Bucks 020.JPG

Wingin' it Farms Bucks 023.JPG

Chilling with southerns DD.
Wingin' it Farms Bucks 024.JPG

Wingin' it Farms Bucks 026.JPG

Wingin' it Farms Bucks 030.JPG

Wingin' it Farms Bucks 035.JPG

Wingin' it Farms Bucks 038.JPG

Attachments

• Wingin' it Farms Bucks 036.JPG
    Wingin' it Farms Bucks 036.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 254

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really like this boy and am contemplating using him (if GW is ok with it) over one of my Lamanchas this year - for mini manchas.

I really DO NOT need anymore polled anything but I would like to see what he can do.

The hardest part is that I have to retain all the does he produces til they kid ... so I know what he can do.

It would be nice to put him over my one nigie and one of my LM's. Maybe Katie too ( unregistered Nigie)... 3 different goats with 3 different udders... this will tell me a few things of what he can do.

I really like his rear width, his topline and rump. :)

I love his temperament above everything else.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why can't you sell his young and keep in touch with the people that get his young and see what he does when they kid?

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I could... but I only do that with people I know very well.
Too many don't milk like they should and don't develop udders well.

Reactions: TAH