farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Southern by choice : I talked to a couple of the different companies that manufacture some of the drugs a couple of years ago on these expiration date stuff. I was told by 2 different ones that most meds are good for 6-12 months after the expiration dates, and that if kept refridgerated, can be used for at least a year past the dates. The exp. dates are required by law if there is any "change" in the effectiveness after a certain storage period. There are none that we have asked about that increase in potency, but I'm not sure what you are using. My question was mostly for anti-biotics... and I have used some well past their "dates". I won't sit here and say they will be good... but the one rep said to up the frequency, like if an antibiotic says xxx once a day, do it twice a day for the first 2 days... and with alot of the vaccines, give a booster even if it doesn't call for it in 21 to 30 days. Since we use mostly all killed virus vaccines, it is less of a chance that they lose potency. And we mostly keep everything in the fridge because of "knowing where it is"....

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Catching up on your goings on again. I sure wish I would get alerts when my favorite members post on their journal. Heck, I don’t even alerts for my journal.

Anyway, I was sorry to see that you and Rita collided, breaking your nose. I’ve never broken my nose, but came close, and I remember seeing stars.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Southern by choice : I talked to a couple of the different companies that manufacture some of the drugs a couple of years ago on these expiration date stuff. I was told by 2 different ones that most meds are good for 6-12 months after the expiration dates, and that if kept refridgerated, can be used for at least a year past the dates. The exp. dates are required by law if there is any "change" in the effectiveness after a certain storage period. There are none that we have asked about that increase in potency, but I'm not sure what you are using. My question was mostly for anti-biotics... and I have used some well past their "dates". I won't sit here and say they will be good... but the one rep said to up the frequency, like if an antibiotic says xxx once a day, do it twice a day for the first 2 days... and with alot of the vaccines, give a booster even if it doesn't call for it in 21 to 30 days. Since we use mostly all killed virus vaccines, it is less of a chance that they lose potency. And we mostly keep everything in the fridge because of "knowing where it is"....
Thanks jan, I know most things can go past their exp date others you have to be very careful with. Honestly we buy stuff to have on hand... lots of stuff we never use. Some things we can get local other things we have to order... and you know how it is, the thing you DON'T have on hand is the thing you need. My DH is pretty awesome about "get it... better safe than sorry". It could be also that he will drive hours and hours for something we need if we don't have it, because he is pretty great about all this, maybe he got tired of the "emergency 4hr round trip" :lol:
Somethings were WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY expired. :p

Getting ready to order all the extras we need for kidding. We have a few kidding in Feb. then pretty much April from there. I know everyone waits to the last minute and then things are back ordered... I just want it in so no worries!

We got our latest milktest results in. YAY!
Girls are doing good. The minis requirements are a bit strange, the butterfat required is slightly less than a standard goat. So the production is already there but thankfully I lloked at it closer... The production we have already reached but kept Bingo on anyway just because we are simply still milking. I thought I might start drying her off ... I just looked at the numbers for everyone and found Bingo has 1-2 more # she needs of butterfat! :eek: Can you imagine if I dried her off 2# shy! :eek::eek::eek:
Some goats we dried off already and some we went to once a day... some we are just going to dry off now... not keeping them in milk for another 5 months. But overall pretty happy.

I know I already mentioned this but I am just so excited! :weee:weee:weee

The "special breeding" is truly a blessing. The breeder never allows a service from her bucks. You can buy straws but NO service. She made the offer. I am not only humbled, but truly thankful. I can give more details once all is done but she is as excited about this potential breeding as I am! That just makes me smile. Since we don't test for TB/Brucellosis - never saw the need- we did agree to have this done... we actually wanted to do the whole herd this year but with that 72 hour thing it is a big deal. My vet never stops, ever. I know how many emergency calls happen, and scheduling that is difficult. When I called yesterday my vet said she'd meet us (office hours are different on certain days) before OH. Which means that 72 hour check is Sat early evening. She is just going to come to the house. I always feel guilty. I am glad she is coming though- even though we would gladly meet her at the office. She wants to see Pete and Lilly I think. :)

Meanwhile I am trying to prep for Thanksgiving. :)
ME_I asked the "kids" what kinds of food they'd like for dinner.
KID #6 -"Key lime pie and Pumpkin pie"
ME- Dinner, not dessert :\
KID #6- Key lime pie and pumpkin Pie
ME- :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Kid#7- Key Lime Pie & Pumpkin Pie
ME- DINNNNNN----NNNNNNNNER
KID #7- Key lime...... :lol:
ME- :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::th
I give up. Not asking any of the rest of them. :p

I am also working on the house stuff still.
We are going to rent a 14 CF dumpster, have it delivered and work on the warehouse and property.
We have been doing some painting. Another one hast left the nest. However much of his stuff is still here.

One of my son's was in a car accident. Truly a miracle that he didn't end up UNDER the tractor trailer. Someone late for work decided it would be a good idea to pass the tractor trailer on a double solid yellow at the crest of a hill. Yep straight into the lane my son was in. Praise God for incredible reflex. Both cars are totaled. When the dispatch got the 911 call for head on they were sending a helicopter... No need. My son walked away with just his thumb hurt from the airbag. Police took pics, wrote a citation to the other person etc. The other person told so many different versions the cop finally said, "YOU WERE IN THE WRONG LANE" ... my son's brake marks as well as all the evidence was pretty clear. Just so thankful neither person was hurt, I don't understand why the other party cannot see the blessing of LIFE and move on. He is trying to get out of it. He can't the ins co already has the Police report.

Been very overwhelmed by the rain. More flooding everywhere in our region. I really wish we could package it and send it to CA. The fires would be out!

@Devonviolet I just saw your post... I don't get alerts on many things ... I should check my settings. Glad you enjoyed Lilly. She is a MESS! :D I really cannot even begin to try and describe this goat. Lately I have been able to be on here a bit more... forget trying to go back and catch up with everyone... I was trying but got overwhelmed and then felt so bad for not being there. :( BTW- I have an article I need to PM you! Very good info, you will love it! :)
My nose... it cannot heal fast enough. :confused:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We bred Tiny to Monopoly today.
These will be F-1 Minis 75%L 25%ND
Tiny is a standard and Monopoly is an F-2 50/50 Gopher eared (blue eyes too --- oooh ahhh :lol:)

Decided to do quite a few 75/25 this year. I care less about eye color but it will be nice to have all gopher ears.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Up doing laundry.
Spent some time with my son tonight, finally got to see his new place.

Finally getting rid of this "bug" but it has messed up my sleep schedule.

We are under water again! You should see it around us. More roads washed out, water up to the bridges... it is bad.
A friend put this up and yep... accurate!
46394157_1965222056893476_7511721071389704192_n.jpg

Sherriff's dept put these up
46325427_2338635912837644_3370067074016608256_n.jpg 46350441_2338635882837647_6439496049450024960_n.jpg 46409605_2338722316162337_3916867787196203008_o.jpg

While we wade through.... grrrr
Been trying to keep positive and not let things get to me but it has been hard lately.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sure glad your son wasn't hurt SBC! That could have been a funeral for 2 in many cases.

The exp. dates are required by law if there is any "change" in the effectiveness after a certain storage period.
That and the expiration date is set based on how long they tested the effectiveness. If they tested to 45 days, the expiration is 45 days (insulin). If they had tested to 180 days and found it was still "per spec" the expiration date would be 180 days. So unless someone decides to test something well past it's date, no one will ever know if it is till effective.

I give up. Not asking any of the rest of them. :p
Maybe you started with the hard one. Ask Little Bit, maybe she is more amenable to cooperation.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce thank you, I think they should have tested the other driver for drugs. This guy has been a piece of work. The son I went with yesterday to see his new place... I asked about what he'd like for TG dinner.... SMH- he said Key Lime pie :lol:

I love my family! They keep mama laughing!