Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
The last few days have been beautiful, with highs in the 60's!

Tonight the LOW is 60
Tomorrow- H 70 L40 with 80% chance of T-storms
Saturday is 45/23
Sunday is 39/18

Poor goats! :ep Thankfully they are all taking the weather swings without any issues. They have been enjoying the warmer weather.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Star and Comet had cashmere coming off of them today....Lightning doesn't seem to get any....but I told them here in another day or 2 ya will be needing the handfuls coming off.....suppose to have about 1" of accumulation on top of ice in the morning...it is raining right now....so, tomorrow may be a bit of a rough start....:)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know we have set a record for the longest period that we did not get above freezing

Yes, as long as I have lived in NC I have never seen a stretch so cold and so long. But it is NC... it will probably be 65 degrees later this week :lol:

Same here! And I am TIRED OF WINTER!! Fortunately I didn't have any frozen pipes but, had all watering spigots drained down & cut off below ground, so had to tote hot water AM & PM...like many others. Carhartts and my ski pants were lifesavers.

Warm last couple days and yes, cold returning at night. Rain tomorrow. Rumors are more snow and bad cold late next week.
Oh, please, no more!! :he :th

We all know that the dairy goats never leave the barns...just look out and scream!!! :lol: Bring hay & warm water! :lol:

They have me trained! I did.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well... found out that there are going to be possibly 10 shows within a 3hr distance from us this year. That is alot of shows. Pretty cool for the many North Carolinian herds!
We don't plan on going to many though. Maybe one spring show and State Fair.
Too many things on our plate this year. It will still be fun to go to some and spectate.

Kidding is around the corner. So much to do!

Made more cheese tonight. This will be our last batch.
We are officially drying the last two goats off.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got behind while i was catching up on your kidding journal....:hide

So...

Bibs :hu
Flannel Lined Jeans :hu
What are these things you speak of????

Being serious DH and I dont own any of either of those things. We wear steel toed boots, jeans, and a hoodie with a coat...if it is super cold(like below 10F) a long sleeve shirt under that...warmer and we just go with a short sleeve shirt. DH does own 1 pair of sweat pants he puts under his jeans once in awhile, he works in a unheated shop for 8-10hrs 5-6 days/week.

Maybe we should invest in some bibs and muck boots....not likely to happen this winter though, maybe next.

The cold snap we had was bad overnight temp last friday here was -14...not feels like, actually temp....daytime high was 1F. Warmed up to 38F wednesday and 48F yesterday. Today is 15F not counting windchill, it rained all day yesterday which overnight turned into sheets of very slick ice and then got 1/2-1" of snow dropped on top of that. The drive into work was bad, I lost control of my car 3 times(minorly, never left the road) 2 other people a lot hit me when i was in control of my car and 1 person spun out in front of me when they tried to make a right turn at 5mph. I hate winter:duc

That many shows near you is awesome SBC! I really would like to go to the one close-ish to us but i doubt it will happen this year. I would have to NOA my Togs and my Alpine and i dunno anyone local who will do it. I am soooo excited to see your kidding this year!:love I know you guys must be about dying waiting. :old

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bibs :hu
Flannel Lined Jeans :hu
What are these things you speak of????

Being serious DH and I dont own any of either of those things. We wear steel toed boots, jeans, and a hoodie with a coat...if it is super cold(like below 10F) a long sleeve shirt under that...warmer and we just go with a short sleeve shirt. DH does own 1 pair of sweat pants he puts under his jeans once in awhile, he works in a unheated shop for 8-10hrs 5-6 days/week.

Maybe we should invest in some bibs and muck boots....not likely to happen this winter though, maybe next.
I read that and went :ep then I went :ep again... then :th

Seriously if I lived where you live I would not own any animals that lived outside.
I would be in hibernation.

Ice is the worst! Really no one can drive on it... makes it dangerous for everyone. Kills me when I see 4 wheel drive trucks that think they can drive on ice... they crash into others, flip, end up in a ditch. :rolleyes: Even with chains it would be difficult. I wouldn't think you guys get many icestorms.

There have to be some breeders near you that you could take the does to for NOA.
I am glad we finally decided to get Millie NOA.

I am pretty excited but it is going to drag out forever. :/

We did get signed up for DHI - hopefully I have all my stuff in order. I don't really care too much about the Lamanchas or Nigies on it, more the minis.
The Nigierians will be good so we can see what each buck we are using is contributing... but the minis for me are really what I want some data on.
We have a lot of FF Lamanchas and I just don't base anything off a FF... so it will be what it will be.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses the dairy goats are certainly a bit spoiled! We have a hand of does that refuse to leave the barn if it’s cloudy out :rolleyes:

One doe won’t come out of the barn to be fed if it’s lighly raining.

@misfitmorgan YES! Get the coveralls when you can, and a good pair of Muck boots. They are worth the cost. The coveralls really save your clothes, especially during kidding season!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
x2 on the coveralls. I don't worry about what I'm wearing underneath. Some mornings I'll put them on over my pajamas if I don't have to stay out doing stuff ;) Pretty much jeans and any long sleeve shirt will do most of the time. I'll put on an extra shirt if it is really cold out.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
The girls are looking big :)

Leah- thinking *only* triplets this time. Her kidding history is quads, quints, and quads again.

Wingin' it Farms Leah- 5 weeks to go.JPG

Ruthie-
Last year she had triplets. She isn't due until mid March! It's hard to tell in the pics just how big she is. She has never been this large.
Current weight is 94#
Wingin' it Farms Ruth 9 weeks to go .JPG

Just because :)
This is just "leftover" hay.
006.JPG

017.JPG
031.JPG

Too heavy to walk away :lol: Ruth is a brat when pregnant but has been very sweet lately!
The round bale is covered due to the storm that was coming
045.JPG

032.JPG