1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. To geld or not to geld? That is the question
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Scabs on Buck

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by maritown, May 18, 2017.

1. May 18, 2017
    maritown

maritown Overrun with beasties

Hello all!
    About two weeks ago our youngest buck (he's just over a year now) had what looked like bug bites on the bottom of his scrotum. We applied some anti inflammatory powder for a few days and put it out of our minds. However, it has now gotten significantly worse, and he now has new scabs around his anus.

So, they initially looked like bug bites but have now transformed to chunky almost fungus like scabs all over his testicles. His penis also looks a little irritated, but no scabs there. Could this be some kind of urine scald? Has anyone seen anything like this before? The buck he is with is as clean as a whistle.

reg1.jpg reg2.jpg reg3.jpg

2. May 18, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

3. May 18, 2017
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

This is not urine scald. They can't pee on their scrotum. He also has scabs around the anus.
    This is a mite/lice infestation that has caused this more than likely. You may have a fungal infection on top of that as well.

Easily taken care of though.

Just so you know... this has been one of the worst years I have ever seen as far as mites/lice goes.
    It is on every FB goat site & every forum.... it is crazy how bad this is this year.

nstone630 likes this.
  4. May 19, 2017
    ragdollcatlady

ragdollcatlady True BYH Addict

I agree, my first thought is mites, second infection. Last year and again this year, the mites have been worse than before, though it seems like a few of my goats show more extreme loads than the others, even some in the same pens.

5. May 20, 2017
    maritown

maritown Overrun with beasties

Hahaha, I meant from my other buck ;-)

But I agree that is likely. Will Ivomec orally take care of it? I was also going to wash with an antibotic wash.

6. May 21, 2017
    lalabugs

lalabugs Loving the herd life

Ivomec orally will not take care of it. Ivomec subq will though. Just a fare warning it stings. Some will take it easy, some will freak out. It seems to be bad here. Along with lice, almost everyone around here has been dealing with it. The dosage I was given is 1cc per 100lbs. Given 7 days apart. Up to 3 treatments.

mysunwolf likes this.