Scan Man Cometh

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ewe nuts?
Now I'm from 'across the pond' and we often have odd names for things (and 'ewe nuts' sound more like something that you'd find on rams!).

We don't tend to feed supplementary grain during the last 4-6 weeks of pregnancy when the ewe may have too much pressure on her rumen from growing lambs to eat enough for lamb growth and maintaining/preparing her own body fro lambing. At this stage we use 'ewe nuts' which are small manufactured pellets made from grain/oils/vitamins etc to typically provide 18% protein and in concentrated form. These are placed out in feeder tins twice daily. Larger bore 'pellets' are also available for depositing on fields from a tractor etc. and tiny ones are available for lambs, when they are referred to as 'lamb creep'.These names are traditional.....and part of the other odd vocabulary that is part of sheep husbandry over here...tup (ram), yow...ewe, gimmer.....ewe over 12 months who has not had her first lamb, hogget/shearling.......young sheep (either sex) who is over 12 months and yet to get 2nd set of teeth, gummer......old girl who has no teeth left (follows 'broken-mouthed when ewe has some broken teeth) etc. I'm not sure how many of these terms you use, but I do sometimes forget myself and lapse into 'dialect'.

But, bad math is bad math the world over......and Latestarter, you and I'm sure most others, must have been wondering just where I went to school! :hide In my defence....it was a looooooooong time ago!

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was just thinking when you have all those lambs, we wont be able to find you in that sea of sheep! Im figuring you will sell most of them, right? If'n you dont, your going to have alot of gummies.:confused: