Scrapie ear tags

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Just wondering. When you put your scrapie ear tags in your goat or sheep do you tag in the left or right ear? I see people do it in both (not two on one animal) and wanted to know which you do and if you even care.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter to me. But all my sheep have their scrapie tags in their left ear.

Some sheep producers use tag location as a tool to tell the sex of the lamb without having to look at the 'plumbing.' For example, a ram lamb will have the flock tag in the left ear (so scrapie tag in right ear) while a ewe lamb will have the flock tag in the right ear (so scrapie tag in left ear).

Premier 1 Supplies has a great article in their catalog on using tags as a way for knowing information about a particular animal without having to look at records. (Tag color, location, numbering system, etc.)

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I've read it. A couple times. lol

I like them in the left ear too.

Do you notch your sheep ears too?

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Nope...but if you're referring to my ewe with the messed up left ear, it's because she ripped out her scrapie tag...twice...in I think 2 or 3 yrs :lol: it's a wonder she's kept her flock tag in for 6 yrs hahaha

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I've only been to the auction once...and that was this past Tuesday when I sold my ram and wether. I've always helped my neighbor load his sheep & lambs, but I never actually went with him lol

I've never really had any sheep to sell...
- In 2008 my ewe had a ewe lamb (keeper)
- In 2009 my ewe had boy/girl twins (ewe was a keeper; boy was supposed to be wethered as a 'companion' for my neighbor's ram...but the emasculator didn't work :/)
- In 2010 my ewe had boy/boy twins (one didn't survive, surviving one was Paulie and he was wethered (with an elastrator) to be a companion for Billy), and the 2008 and 2009 ewe both had singletons, but didn't survive
- In 2011 no sheep were bred so no sheep lambed
- In 2012 my darn ram escaped and bred my ewe, she had quads, two didn't make it and the remaining 2 ewe lambs are keepers lol

I do want to go back to the sale and figure out who the regular sheep buyers are so that way I can ask them what kind of lambs they look for so that way I can breed them to what the buyers want :p

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
That's a good idea.

I've never sold at the one here either but I know some that do and I go with them. I love it. Great food, people, animals, everything!! It's funny because you have all the old guys that hang there every Fri as a social for them. lol Then you have the buyer/sellers. You also have all the farmers and ranchers that go to go, like me. I went there and already knew a bunch of the people there because I see them and talk to them all the time. All of them have Boers in my area. I think it's great. And I get to hang with all the cows. :)

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I don't have $1000 :p

What herd size are you thinking about having (cattle and goats lol)?

Latest posts