Scrapie tags and show goats?

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those of you that show, do you apply your scrapie tags to your show animals?

It's been a long time since I've been in a show ring. All of our boers always had tags. I don't see them in dairy animals. Am I missing them ooor are they not there?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
In my circle of friends the only time the scrapies tag goes on a dairy goat is if it going to be sold at an auction that requires the tag. La Manchas are allowed to wear the tag on the collar. They all tag the Boers, but not the dairy stock.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
And here I thought scrapie was a sheep thing...

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
In my circle of friends the only time the scrapies tag goes on a dairy goat is if it going to be sold at an auction that requires the tag. La Manchas are allowed to wear the tag on the collar. They all tag the Boers, but not the dairy stock.

If a Boer sneezes wrong it gets a tag.

All kidding aside, I only planned on tagging non terminal sales. Most of my males will be castrated and sold as terminal or non breeding. We're retaining all does this year unless something is critically wrong with it. They'll be sold as yearlings or two year olds depending on how the dams do milk wise. I'd just hate to sell a for from a F2F and she and up being a milking machine. Call me selfish.

--

I'm getting a pair of Alpine from heavy show stock and the breeder is scrapie free, cae/cl/johnes free, and is willing to mentor me in the dairy show ring. They even set up differently than meat goats. This will be fun!

I just wondered if not having tags ON the animals is because dairy animals are different in every aspect in the show world. She might tattoo, I haven't got around to asking that yet.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she is showing in ADGA shows them she has to tatoo
Your registration papers should have the tatoo on it
La Manchas get tatoo on tail web all others in the ears

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Latestarter and @Southern by choice have both given you the information as I know it too. It is only auctions and USDA slaughterhouses that require them in CA. I can send an animal to slaughter for my own consumption from my local processor and no tag required. I also sell Boers directly F2F with no tags, but perhaps they should be tagged, not sure about that.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
YIPES! I didn't give any info :barnie I know nothing about scrapie! Maybe Ponker? or Ferguson? or OFA?

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Scrapie tags are required in California on all animals leaving your farm unless tattooed and registered with a recognized organization ABGA, ADGA, AGS, etc. If an animal is purchased without a tag or tattoos and corresponding registration, you should put one of your own tags in and keep info on the seller, name address etc. It is so that the animal can be traced back to the farm of origin in case scrapie shows up so they can test that herd.