Scratching Doe

Kissofcrimson

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So earlier when cleaning my does cage she became extremely aggressive for the first time. Aggressive enough for me to do a double take and remove my hands. When I first got her she would scratch here and there, and I was fine with that, because it was an occasional thing. Within the last week though she's become so bad that I don't handle her and the only time I interact with her is when I'm cleaning her cage. Normally I take her out every morning to her outside run (she lives indoors in a large hutch) and bring in back in before it gets dark. But now when I try to pick her up she kicks and scratches the whole time. Nothing I do calms her down and so I put her back in her hutch. She's also gotten so bad with scratching she fights me the whole time I'm in her cage. I have to distract her with treats to be able to do anything with her and dislike doing that because I feel like I'm rewarding her for being mean.

I've had her since January and have handled her a lot, including trimming her nails and cutting down her fur. She's a French Angora. She's about 6-7 months now. Do they always go through this aggressive stage or is this something that will stick? I've considered breeding her (bought a buck recently) but reading on here I've seen that breeding aggressive does isn't exactly a desirable thing to do.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I had a doe like this. She has learned she can get her way by behaving badly. Most can be corrected 100% if not close to it but others... well, they just refuse once they are set in their ways. I always tell people it is easier to teach good manners than undo the learned bad ones.

First, Her confronting you is NOT ok. When you take her out, wear something long sleeved and thick to protect you and hold onto her until she does stop. Just hold on for the ride. She does not get what she wants. And if she comes at you in the cage I always quickly put my hand on the back of their shoulders, neck or head and held them down. She sounds like she has become territorial in her cage as well. This is a hard one as they are confined and have no other option.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
she is reaching maturity and it sounds like hormones are coming into play. We have a mother and her 2 daughters- French Angora- mother and 1 daughter are not always so nice- scratching at us and the other daughter is a cuddle bug. We found that if we give the 2 does a bigger area then just a regular sized cage they do better- they have more room to move away from us.

Kissofcrimson

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I don't think space is an issue but it's a possibility. She lives in a hutch that's 4-5 ft long by 2 1-2 feet wide. Then the run outside she goes into is a couple inches short of 8 feet and 4 feet wide. When ever I feed her or need to get into her cage, she doesn't back up but comes to the front and basically is in my way of doing anything.

Last night when she did that I scruffed her and made her lay down to calm her but after I let her go she got up, puffed up her little chest and was still trying to scratch me.

She just seems bullheaded and I'm hoping her attitude passes.

Latest posts