1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Rate this sheep's condition - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Seasonal breeders

Discussion in 'Breeds & Breeding - Goats' started by Georgia Girl, Jun 13, 2019 at 1:48 AM.

1. Jun 13, 2019 at 1:48 AM
    Georgia Girl

Georgia Girl Overrun with beasties

Does anyone know if kids whose father was a mini-nubian and mother a Saanen, will these kids be seasonal breeders or since they have some nigerian will they be able to breed monthly. 2nd question when are doelings able to become pregnant.

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  2. Jun 13, 2019 at 8:01 AM
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Some doe's ( nigerian dwarfs ) are able to breed at three months ....But should not be bred till weight (45lbs) OR age (12months) .....CAN'T give you a answer on the seasonal breeder question,. Best to Always keep bucks housed seperatly from doe 's, and yes ...they CAN breed through a fence...have one here that got pregnant that way before I bought her and found out.....so we are going to double fence our buck yard....a foot apart between eack fence :thumbsup

Georgia Girl likes this.
  3. Jun 13, 2019 at 8:57 AM
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Herd Master

I have a mini nub buck. When bred to Saanen does & mini nub does -- SO FAR, the ND influence has not been seen to overtake the seasonal factor estrus. If they were 50/50 minis, both buck & doe, you might have a shot at year round. None of mine are that 50/50 background.

I have seen smaller mature size in my doelings that are out of a mini nub I had who was a higher % ND, when bred to my mini-nub buck. But these girls are seasonal breeders. Another thing I notice, since not disbudded, they develop smaller horn. They are still nicely filled out, good udder and milk volume, very dairy built, just shrunken about 20-25% of the full sized goats. Mom was smaller, also. You don't know what genetics will hit. So far, no year round goat breeders.

Some Nubians have shown a much earlier estrus than you may think of in seasonal. I've had a couple that would cycle in July.

Sales of kids are probably a main reason the year round breeders are sought out. After all, you can stagger the seasonal breeders to produce kids & have milk for yr round needs. I've had Saanen breed in March. If you can get seasonal breeding Jul/Aug and into March -- your only missing 3 month of the year :D of course, if only 2 does -- well, you get the picture.

Georgia Girl and B&B Happy goats like this.
  4. Jun 14, 2019 at 1:42 AM
    Georgia Girl

Georgia Girl Overrun with beasties

Thanks, I am hoping that mine will be seasonal.

B&B Happy goats likes this.