Seasonal breeders

Georgia Girl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Does anyone know if kids whose father was a mini-nubian and mother a Saanen, will these kids be seasonal breeders or since they have some nigerian will they be able to breed monthly. 2nd question when are doelings able to become pregnant.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some doe's ( nigerian dwarfs ) are able to breed at three months ....But should not be bred till weight (45lbs) OR age (12months) .....CAN'T give you a answer on the seasonal breeder question,. Best to Always keep bucks housed seperatly from doe 's, and yes ...they CAN breed through a fence...have one here that got pregnant that way before I bought her and found out.....so we are going to double fence our buck yard....a foot apart between eack fence :thumbsup

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a mini nub buck. When bred to Saanen does & mini nub does -- SO FAR, the ND influence has not been seen to overtake the seasonal factor estrus. If they were 50/50 minis, both buck & doe, you might have a shot at year round. None of mine are that 50/50 background.

I have seen smaller mature size in my doelings that are out of a mini nub I had who was a higher % ND, when bred to my mini-nub buck. But these girls are seasonal breeders. Another thing I notice, since not disbudded, they develop smaller horn. They are still nicely filled out, good udder and milk volume, very dairy built, just shrunken about 20-25% of the full sized goats. Mom was smaller, also. You don't know what genetics will hit. So far, no year round goat breeders.

Some Nubians have shown a much earlier estrus than you may think of in seasonal. I've had a couple that would cycle in July.

Sales of kids are probably a main reason the year round breeders are sought out. After all, you can stagger the seasonal breeders to produce kids & have milk for yr round needs. I've had Saanen breed in March. If you can get seasonal breeding Jul/Aug and into March -- your only missing 3 month of the year :D of course, if only 2 does -- well, you get the picture.

Georgia Girl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a mini nub buck. When bred to Saanen does & mini nub does -- SO FAR, the ND influence has not been seen to overtake the seasonal factor estrus. If they were 50/50 minis, both buck & doe, you might have a shot at year round. None of mine are that 50/50 background.

I have seen smaller mature size in my doelings that are out of a mini nub I had who was a higher % ND, when bred to my mini-nub buck. But these girls are seasonal breeders. Another thing I notice, since not disbudded, they develop smaller horn. They are still nicely filled out, good udder and milk volume, very dairy built, just shrunken about 20-25% of the full sized goats. Mom was smaller, also. You don't know what genetics will hit. So far, no year round goat breeders.

Some Nubians have shown a much earlier estrus than you may think of in seasonal. I've had a couple that would cycle in July.

Sales of kids are probably a main reason the year round breeders are sought out. After all, you can stagger the seasonal breeders to produce kids & have milk for yr round needs. I've had Saanen breed in March. If you can get seasonal breeding Jul/Aug and into March -- your only missing 3 month of the year :D of course, if only 2 does -- well, you get the picture.
Thanks, I am hoping that mine will be seasonal.

Latest posts