Seedless Watermelon Seed

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was eating some Crimson Sweet Watermelon out of our garden this morning and it got me to wondering how do you get seed to plant a "seedless" Watermelon. I had to go look it up and thought some others might be interested in one of those things that was never thought about before. :)

Seed Production.
The obvious question asked about growing seedless watermelons is: "How does one obtain seed of a seedless watermelon?" Obviously, you cannot save seed from a seedless watermelon. So, where do the seeds come from? Simply stated, the number of chromosomes (the threadlike bodies within cells that contain the inheritance units called genes) in a normal watermelon plant is doubled by the use of the chemical colchicine. Doubling a normal (diploid) watermelon results in a tetraploid plant (one having four sets of chromosomes). When the tetraploid plant is bred back, or pollinated, by a diploid or normal plant, the resulting seed produces a triploid plant that is basically a "mule" of the plant kingdom, and it produces seedless watermelons. Seed of seedless varieties are available from most major seed companies.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
AND --many of the "sold as seedless" are not the mule they hoped for. :D So, those seeds will not produce a seedless either. Disappointing to cut into and "find" seeds. They are generally soft & smaller....not even good to spit away! :lol:

But I love having an explanation.

Speaking of MULES -- in the equine world they are 99% infertile but, a few cases are recorded of a molly mule actually producing a foal. There's those genes at work!:D =D