Seeing dead bees

Cmclean

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I installed my first Nuc 5 days ago. I have not opened it yet to check on queen. I have seen 5-10 dead bees on the ground in front of the hive. Is this normal die off?

Anna j

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
There are typically some dead bees in a nuc when you get them. Once installed they clean house by carrying the dead out to the front and dumping them. By day 5 though you really should check that the queen is out. Previously we’ve had to scrape a little away to make sure she could get out with the bees help. If she’s not out today I would certainly remove some of the candy enclosing her. But not all of it, make them get her out..but I honestly can’t back that up with anything other than that’s their job.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I installed my first Nuc 5 days ago. I have not opened it yet to check on queen. I have seen 5-10 dead bees on the ground in front of the hive. Is this normal die off?
Biodiversity loss, habitat degradation and lack of forage due to monocultures and pesticide killing of bees are specific threats to bees and wild pollinators.