Selenium Deficiency and Worms

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A neighbor of mine was recently told by the vet that her doeling (approximately 7 months old) has white muscle disease brought on by worms. She was then told to worm the goat and give a B complex shot. After she called to tell me what was going on I did some Googling and everything I read says white muscle disease is caused by a selenium/vit E deficiency. She is still waiting on the blood test results....is central Texas considered deficient on selenium?

Does anyone know anything about this condition?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
:lol: :gig That's rediculous!

You are correct, WMD is caused by selenium deficiency.

I am not sure about TX, I would contact a local breeder who also shows (ie someone who would be on top of bolusing) to find out about needs in your area. Here, we do BoSe about quarterly or less depending on individual needs and ALL kids get 1/4 cc at birth. Does also get their dose 30 days before kidding.

Now there have been studies that link lack of resistance to worms to copper and selenium deficiency...and it would make sense that a worm load could interfere with absorbtion of vitamins and minerals and LEAD to deficiency...but one doesn't cause the other.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, white muscle is a selenium/vit e deficiency. It's not something I'd ever really consider to be "brought on" by worms, but if a parasite load had altered the pH of the GI significantly enough to prevent selenium/e absorption, which in turn brought the blood Se levels to critically low levels.....it would be hard to argue the logic.

Or, the vet could have confused anemia with white muscle....who knows?

It's impossible for us to know with so little info, but there's one thing about the whole deal that I find interesting.....the vet did order a blood test.

If a blood test was ordered and the words "white muscle disease" were mentioned, then it's not unlikely that the vet is checking blood Se levels.. I mean, if it was just worms and anemia, they shouldn't have needed a blood test to know it.. A fecal, sure, and a check of the membranes....but a blood test?

That said, if the vet indeed made the connection from worms to Se deficiency to white muscle based on the presentation of white muscle symptoms and that turns out to be correct based on a blood Se level, then I'd say they've got some serious chops when it comes to treating goats.

If, on the other hand, the vet confused anemia with white muscle, thinking the "white" part referrenced low platelets or red blood cells or something and ordered a CBC...well, that doesn't bode well for a goat vet.

I hope you're able to keep us updated!

:pop

btw...I don't think Texas is Selenium deficient . The plot thickens!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Just a little food for thought to add to the selenium maps - selenium absorption is affected by available zinc, vit c and heavy metals. So, lets say your soil has ok levels...but your hay is cut in another area with low levels, or in an area with high zinc or heavy metals..well...you're going to have absorption issues. Or even your own grass/browse is high in available zinc, etc...

All of the factors behind it can make you go :barnie

I would bet cmjust0 is on the right track when he says the vet might have confused WMD with white membranes from anemia...that was my gut feeling, too... :idunno

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
helmstead said:
Just a little food for thought to add to the selenium maps - selenium absorption is affected by available zinc, vit c and heavy metals. So, lets say your soil has ok levels...but your hay is cut in another area with low levels, or in an area with high zinc or heavy metals..well...you're going to have absorption issues. Or even your own grass/browse is high in available zinc, etc...
Yep, that drives me bonkers, too.

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
OK, for my county it says the SE content is:

0.42+/-0.14ppm

What exactly does that mean?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've been adding BOSS to my sheep's feed. They say they are high in selenium....can they get too much of a good thing?

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I've been adding BOSS to my sheep's feed. They say they are high in selenium....can they get too much of a good thing?
Yes, I have read there is a fine line between selenium being beneficial and being toxic....