Selenium Deficiency and Worms

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
broke down ranch said:
OK, for my county it says the SE content is:

0.42+/-0.14ppm

What exactly does that mean?
This means that your soil averages between .56 and .28 ppm selenium, which does not really say much because that doesn't necessarily translate into available selenium... See? :barnie

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Is there a way to test the soil for selenium? I mean, as a gardener I can get a basic test kit to test for PH levels and such - is there something like that available for selenium content?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I don't know about a home test kit like we have for our gardens, but I think the County Extension will do it. Worth a phone call anyway. It would also be good to check zinc, copper, magnesium, etc.

Still, better to test your animals than your soil...because of all the factors - except for copper unless you want to do a liver biposy.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The map is fun to look at but totally useless IMO, because where you live, and where your hay and grains are grown are often totally different. Hay fields that have been worked for years, are terribly deficient, as are grain fields. The Federal government will NOT allow farmers to add sufficent levels to their fields to correct selenium deficencies.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good point, Kimmy..

I try to buy my hay locally, just for that reason.. While I may not be able to pin the actual levels of this and that down very well at all, I will at least know that it's not going to be high in Zinc, Copper, or Selenium if it's grown locally, and can proceed accordingly.

If I were to feed trucked-in North Dakota hay all winter then hit everybody with a few MLs of Bo-Se come spring, though...well, I still doubt it would be a problem, but it does create yet another variable I don't need.

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So now I'm totally confused. Between where the hay is grown and where you live, how in the heck do you know when to give Bose. And do you have to get it from the veterinarian or can you buy it at the feed store?

I liked the county-by-county map but don't know how to translate that into how much selenium my goats need. Can someone make it more simple for me? I have babies, 5 month old mini nubians. They were given some BoSe before we bought them but I'm not sure when they will need more.

There is not a more natural way to feed selenium? This sounds so artificial.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You have to have your water, hay, feed and pasture tested. That would be the proper way to do it. The other way would be to have blood drawn on all your animals and have it tested. Then if they are low on selenium, you give the individual goats a shot.

I really don't know anyone who does the blood tests to check selenium levels. It gets expensive and would have to be done every month if you would be doing it properly. Honestly I wouldn't recommend that route.

I would find out from local goat farms what they do with Bose. You will eventually see what works for your farm. If you buy hay from another state, then have it tested.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Call your vet, he/she can advise you on conditions specific to your area. As to Selenium and worms, a deficient goat is more quickly ravaged by parasites.