Selenium Overdose... Stupid Lamb Mom

jacksonmom78

Just born
Reaction score
So we've acquired a dorper lamb. She has White Muscle Disease. She is mow 4 days old. I gave her 1 cc Bo-Se once a day for 3 days. Her breathing is labored now. Reading up further I realize I have overdosed her. How do I correct this?? I don't want to lose her.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It this is truly what is wrong I don't know that there is a way to correct it. Acute selenium poisoning is often fatal.

Hope this isn't the case and that your lamb comes through this ok.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have no idea on what to do with a Se. overdose. :( It is best to get a vet involved at this point. Please keep us updated & I hope it all works out for the best :hugs :hugs :hugs

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
babs I agree but it would be worth a try since I have heard of no other way to combat a selenium overdose. I've got only one source that points to charcoal combatting an overdose by injection (in this case, of an antibiotic), it's here.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @mysunwolf for the information. It certainly would be worth a try but I had never even considered it for something like that. One reason I love BYH, so much good information.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
What did the professional say?
(I'm assuming you did call the vet as soon as you realized Se toxicity was the problem)