Self-introduction

TobyNeal

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi everybody, We've been considering getting sheep, goats, and pigs for a long time, and on Saturday, we're actually starting with two sheep. Exist any notes on how to care for sheep? I appreciate your advice.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from east Texas. I raise Katahdin hair sheep. What breed are you getting?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Howdy and welcome!

If you are brand spanking new to sheep, maybe a quick trip to the library to check out a few sheep raising books would be in order.

Don't forget that lots of things like to eat sheep... so you need to protect them (mostly from dogs, and coyotes, but maybe also mountain lions and bears).

Good luck on your adventure! :yesss:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can read the forums here on sheep. There is lots of information there. Ask questions, we will be glad to help.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi everybody, We've been considering getting sheep, goats, and pigs for a long time, and on Saturday, we're actually starting with two sheep. Exist any notes on how to care for sheep? I appreciate your advice.
Hi and Welcome!
I'm new here too. What kind of sheep do you have?
Out here coyotes are a problem - Ours are in the barn at night - not perfect but so far so good. I have a mixed flock and am working my way to all Dorpers.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome!
I'm new here too. What kind of sheep do you have?
Out here coyotes are a problem - Ours are in the barn at night - not perfect but so far so good. I have a mixed flock and am working my way to all Dorpers.
I have 2 Anatolians LGDs to guard my sheep. I started with Great Pyrenees and after they educated and trained me, I felt ready for Anatolians. Read posts in the LGD section, lots of helpful information there. Ask any questions you have, we will be glad to help.

Latest posts