Semen Tank

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a used semen tank from a friend. It is empty and not charged. Does any body have any experience with prices on a tank and what to look for when buying one?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can get a new small tank for around $600.
I got mine for free from in laws, but I checked and saw the same tank for sale for $300 on a farm swap site.

You need to make sure there is not obvious damage on the outside. These things are not very high tech, they just need to hold liquid nitrogen.

The only thing really critical is that it be sealed. They are constructed with an exterior wall and a sealed insulated space between it and the vessel that holds the nitrogen. If that seal is broken it is useless. This is the seal.

IMG_2223.jpg

Our tank is 30 years old. It holds around 600 straws, but it is large and holds more liquid nitrogen. So, it has to be topped off less frequently. Once every 4 months.

Some of the newer ones are smaller but hold more straws, but less nitrogen and have to be topped off more frequently.

We have a welding supply company deliver nitrogen. With delivery charge and the nitrogen about $75.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I would have to take mine in to get charged so the longer the better. I know that this tank had been knocked over when in storage so she lost all of the straws that were in it when she bought it; which is too bad since they were Alpine straws that I could have used. Good to know about the seal, I will be sure and have it checked and charged before I commit to buying it.