Senile Texas Aggie - comic relief for the rest of you

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, my Beautiful Gal and I went to Texarkana, TX and back, to pick up a mirror from the house of my wife's next older sister, Treasa. They have a contract on their house and are supposed to close Mar 1. Her husband James has already retired as of Jan 31, and Treasa will retire Mar 14. They plan to go RVing full-time for at least a year. They will get to experience the life that my Beautiful Gal and I contemplated but backed out of and bought the place here in Arkansas.

On the drive we were amazed at how the vegetation changed in the 120+ miles from our place to Texarkana. When we left it was ~38º F, and by the time we got to Texarkana it was 57º F. What got my attention, though was that the trees and bushes were already blooming out. Here near Booneville only the daffodils are blooming. Near Texarkana all kinds of trees and bushes were blooming. I better get busy cleaning out the briars behind the shop before they start greening up and much harder to cut.

My wife and I recently finished 3 different books. The first, The Nature Fix - Why Nature Makes Us Happier, Healthier, and More Creative, by Florence Williams, shows what I think is obvious to most people on this forum -- that spending time in nature makes us happy. I know that as long as I can remember during our almost 44 years of marriage, whenever my Beautiful Gal and I have gone on vacation, I have always wanted to get out in nature. Now here at out home, we get to live it full-time.

The second book, She Has Her Mother's Laugh - The Powers, Perversions, and Potential of Heredity, by Carl Zimmer, is a VERY interesting book about heredity. It also is a very LONG book. He discusses many different aspects of heredity, including mosaicism (which I had never heard of), chimeras (which I had heard of), identical twins studies, etc. The only omission I thought odd was he failed to mention the Minnesota studies of identical twins, including the works of Dr. Nancy Segal, of which we have read several. For example, Dr. Segal shows that religiosity -- the intensity of which religious beliefs are held -- is 90% determined by genes. (The particular beliefs are determined by environment.) Despite this omission, we still really enjoyed this book. A more readable book and equally interesting is When a Gene Makes You Smell Like a Fish - And Other Tales About the Genes in Your Body, by Lisa Seachrist Chiu. I was amazed and often amused by learning about so many of the different effects that genes can have on their phenotypes. She discusses hemophilia and how that came about, and she also tells about the ailments of King George III, who reigned in England when the United States declared its independence. I highly recommend this book.

The book we just finished is titled Breaking and Entering - the Extraordinary Story of a Hacker named "Alien", by Jeremy N. Smith. It is about a computer security expert and how she learned her craft. It showed just how vulnerable our computer systems really are.

That's all for now.

Senile Texas Aggie

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
The book we just finished is titled Breaking and Entering - the Extraordinary Story of a Hacker named "Alien", by Jeremy N. Smith. It is about a computer security expert and how she learned her craft. It showed just how vulnerable our computer systems really are.
Hmmm sounds interesting. I might see if i can find it in the library.

I love being in the nature. It is my happy place .:)

What type of books do you normally read? I prefer fiction over non fiction. Lately it's been murder mystery.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
The next great World War will be fought with bytes, not bullets or bombs, and the early 'shots' have already been fired.
Few will actually die a physical death, but a great % of the populations of developed nations, (especially our own) will find themselves prostrate on a cold dark floor in a fetal position, softly & incessantly whimpering, as their thumbs desperately press non-responsive keys on the hand held devices that have become as much a part of their life as breathing and seeing..

Last edited: