Senile Texas Aggie - comic relief for the rest of you

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you already have a fair sized weedwhacker such as Stihl makes, you can just buy the pole saw extension to go on it.
I know they are also available for Echo and Ryobi weedwhacker powerheads.
polesawextkit.jpg

Check with the dealer first to ensure your powerhead is powerful enough to run the saw.

Edit.I didn't see this part:
" I am unable to reach them with the pole saw attachment with my string trimmer, as the trimmer power head wasn't really designed to have the end where the trimmer head is held higher than the power head -- gas pores out the gas tank!"
I find that odd. The only time I've ever had any trimmer pour gas out the cap was when it had a bad cap or the vent tube inside the tank was plugged up or kinked.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
The reason I have the trimmer saw is that I bought at Lowe's Mr. @greybeard's favorite brand, Troybilt, along with the pole saw, brush blade, hedge trimmers, and of course the string trimmer. I bought that particular model because it was a four cycle engine, which I wanted because I feared that my Beautiful Gal might unknowingly put ordinary gas in a two cycle trimmer and ruin the engine. The Troybilt worked great with all of the attachments, and didn't spill gas whenever I held the polesaw above the power head. But after about 5 months the Troybilt power head wouldn't start. I took it back to Lowe's, who by that time had discontinued carrying the Troybilt. They replaced it for free with a Husqvarna, a two cycle version. It is the Husqvarna that leaks the gas. I can still use the pole saw on limbs that are maybe a foot or so higher than the head, but anything higher than that and the gas comes streaming out.

My wife has said there is NO WAY she is going to drive the tractor and lift me up in the FEL bucket to trim the limbs!

As for buying the Stihl battery powered pole saw, I checked on the HTA 65 and HTA 85 at the Stihl website, but have been unable to locate a source for those models. I would like to stay with the brands of Stihl or Dewalt, as those two brands have provided excellent service, though so far at least our Kobalt 40V hedge trimmer has worked fine. Lowe's and Home Depot sell other brands. Have any of you had any experience with any of the brands? I'd like to buy one that lasts, as I have a lot of limbs to trim.

Senile Texas Aggie

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
My wife has said there is NO WAY she is going to drive the tractor and lift me up in the FEL bucket to trim the limbs!
Spoilsport! OK, fine. You drive, SHE cuts! ;)

Sounds like maybe the Husqvarna has a problem as @greybeard described. Maybe Lowe's can check it out. Is it still under warranty?

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
But the amount I withheld for federal taxes turned out not to be enough. I thought the income tax rate was lower than it turned out to be. Now we are having to pay in over $3,000 in additional taxes. Ouch! I'll know better this year to hold out more for taxes when I make another withdrawal some time later.
Ouch indeed! I need to get mine done. I hope to get it done later this week.

Smart woman! ;)

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
:barnie
Not much happening here at the moment. I did the federal and state taxes Thursday and Friday. I'm bummed out about our federal taxes. 2018 was the first calendar year we were both completely retired. When I withdrew a substantial amount from my rollover IRA, I told the broker to withhold so much for federal taxes. (I withdrew it before we moved to Arkansas so that hopefully I would not have to pay Arkansas state income tax on it -- fortunately I didn't.) But the amount I withheld for federal taxes turned out not to be enough. I thought the income tax rate was lower than it turned out to be. Now we are having to pay in over $3,000 in additional taxes. Ouch! I'll know better this year to hold out more for taxes when I make another withdrawal some time later.

UGG!!! We also had tax shock this year. Did not pay enough on our quarterly tax payments. Luckily had enough in savings accounts to pay it. Now are budgeting to pay more next year. Taxes suck! Add federal to California state taxes and :barnie!!!

However, we are lucky that we had the money saved.