Senile Texas Aggie - comic relief for the rest of you

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chain stretch is common, especially the first few times a new chain is used. Make sure the oiler is working good.

You know, you can knock a link out of a stretched out chain and continue to use it... You will need the little chainbreaker tool to do it with. There are all different kinds, the simplest is a special hard steel thing you can carry in your pocket and it's called an anvil.
I've done lots of them. He says "you need a good heavy piece of metal" to place the anvil on but I almost always have done it on a flat part of the trailer hitch of my pickup.

Last edited:

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
All,

After mowing a few places where the grass had gotten too tall, I decided to go back to the "fun" work, trimming trees and cutting down shrubs and small trees. This time I decided to do some work that I knew needed doing, but I had been putting it off because my Beautiful Gal and I were always working on other things. Ever since the pole saw got out of commission (a marred chain guide bar) my Beautiful Gal has not gone with me to work outside, as that is her favorite tool to use.

So today I went to where there are 2 trees close to one another in the middle of the pasture, both of which had thick underbrush beneath them, to clear out all of that underbrush. Here is what they looked like when I started around 8:00:
20190604_081026_undergrowth_reduced.jpg 20190604_081033_undergrowth_reduced.jpg

Here is what it looked like when I finished around 12:00:
20190604_114606_cleared_out_reduced.jpg

Now that it has gotten rather warm, I have cut back to half days (not like Miss @farmerjan's half days, which are 12 hours!) I admit it, I'm a wimp.

Tomorrow through Saturday there is a good chance of rain, so I may be taking off a few days:
upload_2019-6-4_14-40-7.png

Senile Texas Aggie

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ever since the pole saw got out of commission (a marred chain guide bar) my Beautiful Gal has not gone with me to work outside, as that is her favorite tool to use.
Sounds like the FIRST thing you should have done was to fix her saw!

Sure looks nice in the "after" picture.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good job. Now that you have the scrub growth cut out, grass will grow under the trees instead of weeds and brush.
You aren't done with that area tho........just got started. You will continue to have to cut it every year. Most of it will grow back and with sunlight, maybe some new weed/brush species and certainly the seedbank will spring to life.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was expecting the same "reply"......:lol:....maybe, GB is getting "soft" in his "golden years".....naw, ain't buying that....:)

STA it does certainly make a "difference" and a great "visual" of Accomplishment!!.....and ya didn't break, tear, or damage anything in the process....:clap.......that moisture coming up from Mexico...I doubt will be very well greeted by many in the area over that way.....hope it doesn't hang around too long.......:fl

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
All that moisture coming up from Mexico looks to be staying below us. I'd take some rain, to give someone else a break.

Your trim job looks great, what a difference. GB mentioned the seed bank, if you really want to stir it up, run a tractor disc around the tree. Stirring up the dirt will make hundreds of seeds spring to life.

Latest posts