Senile Texas Aggie - comic relief for the rest of you

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tractors used to come with a toolbox on them and the ones I had that didn't, I made a box for them and bolted it to the fender..sometimes one on each fender. Hitch pins, shear bolts, basic tools, a few common bolts & nuts.

I haven't seen a new one come with a usable tool box in some time.
I've riden on a tool box welded to a fender on a tractor back in the 3rd and 4th grade...while they were planting or spraying cotton.....my handle was the blinker...it was a Ford, but can't remember the size....it wasn't huge, but it wasn't a little one either....I believe it pulled a 6row planter....anyway, I couldn't help but think of it when reading your post....:)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
None of the N-series Fords had a rear blinking amber light from the Ford plant. They had twin teardrop lights in the front and one spotlight on the left rear fender to help you hook up the implement and be able to see what was going on back there at night.
It was mid 60s before I ever saw a new tractor with an amber blinking light back there on the rear fender.
8, 9, & NAA (Jubilee) Fords would all pull a 6,8,10 or even 12 row planter pretty easily, especially the NAAs but with max of about 32hp, 3 row bottom plows were all they could handle and it better be sandy soil at that. They were really bad about the front end rearing up. The 2n was the first model they came out with and it was pretty limited in what it could handle.

Most of those N series were geared too high to do a lot of heavy pulling.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mr. @greybeard, sir,

Thanks for your answer on the spline. I guess that I have a mower yoke that has worn a bit and so it is a self made indexing yoke. I will save myself some trouble and simply mark the tractor spline and the mower yoke, so i can easily (I hope) reattach the mower.

I like reading about your tractor adventures. I must congratulate you on your ability to troubleshoot and fix problems in the field. You aren’t so senile. LOL

I don't know -- I ran into the grapple the other day with my head while I was sweeping out the garage and thus was looking down. In the contest between the tractor and my head, the tractor has won every time.;)

Ya know STA...if ya bungee or ratchet strap ya a bicycle onto the tractor....ya wouldn't have to walk back to the house....it would be great if it was downhill.....:)

I would probably die from a heart attack trying to ride a bicycle in the pasture because the ground is so soft right now.

Tractors used to come with a toolbox on them and the ones I had that didn't, I made a box for them and bolted it to the fender..sometimes one on each fender. Hitch pins, shear bolts, basic tools, a few common bolts & nuts.

My tractor has a small toolbox, and I have a tool bag hanging from the bar I have attached to the ROPS. I thought I had my extra shear bolts in one of those two places, but I couldn't find them, nor could I find them in the garage. When I go to Tractor Supply later this morning, I plan on buying 5 or so bolts and put the extras in the tool bag.

Senile Texas Aggie

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know -- I ran into the grapple the other day with my head while I was sweeping out the garage and thus was looking down. In the contest between the tractor and my head, the tractor has won every time.;)

Senile Texas Aggie

A couple years ago when I couldn't get a slaughter date for 3 hogs that were eating their heads off, we slaughtered and processed them ourselves. A neighbor shot them, we snatched the hog out of the pasture, chained his back legs to the front end loader and raised it up. I skinned, gutted and quartered them. If I banged my head on the bucket, I banged it a hundred times. I reckon them hogs had the last laugh.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
If I banged my head on the bucket, I banged it a hundred times. I reckon them hogs had the last laugh.
Hog butchering is dangerous work! Last time I did one DH was on the tractor raising him up for me. I got right under that bucket and got to work. DH went to get off the tractor and his belly hit the lever that drops the FEL. Holy Cow I didn't know I could still move that fast or cuss that loud. I think I invented some new words that day, lol. I now know better than to walk between two cars when DH is in one of them and I don't get under the bucket when he's on the tractor. Geeze if I didn't know better I might think he's trying to get rid of me...:ep

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeh, that is as much fun as banging the knee or shin on the dang trailer hitch....it'll make your eyes Water for sure, and take your breath....that trailer hitch "boogie" is hard on an old man, I tell ya.....:old...:)
I do that too. My middle name is Grace. It durn sure didn't do me any good. :lol:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hog butchering is dangerous work! Last time I did one DH was on the tractor raising him up for me. I got right under that bucket and got to work. DH went to get off the tractor and his belly hit the lever that drops the FEL. Holy Cow I didn't know I could still move that fast or cuss that loud. I think I invented some new words that day, lol. I now know better than to walk between two cars when DH is in one of them and I don't get under the bucket when he's on the tractor. Geeze if I didn't know better I might think he's trying to get rid of me...:ep
I don't get in front of or behind any vehicle that DH is driving, he's hit me coming and going. Darn good thing the car/truck/tractor/mule only goes forward/backward and not sideways. I'd just have to run like a scalded cat.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I found it and reinstalled the gear shift lever and reinstalled the housing.
:yesss:
DW has a similar story regarding an old Scout back when she was a teen (which means a long time ago). Shift lever didn't exactly come loose in her hand it broke. While she was driving.

although I should put it to good use clearing the beach quickly so we can have the best spot!
Yep, geet the teeniest tiniest string bikini you can find and go talk to all the people in the best section of the beach. Probably doesn't hurt if you act a little "teched in the head" ;)

Geeze if I didn't know better I might think he's trying to get rid of me..
How much is your life insurance worth? :hide