Senile Texas Aggie - comic relief for the rest of you

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH says that our big tractor was definitely a Farmall. It was certainly bright blue. However, since we bought it used and the previous owner (our neighbor) also bought it used, we don't know where it was originally sold. We are in California and to order any parts for repairs you have to send back east so . . . . ?
Was it REALLY old?? Wikipedia (the most trusted site on the web for all facts and only the facts :lol: ) says:
"All Farmall tractors were painted a deep blue-grey until mid-1936 (around July through September). The color has often been mistaken for battleship grey, but it was actually bluer. The wheels were most often red."

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
All,

I thought I would bring you folks up to date on what's been going on here the past few days. Before I do so, I thought you folks might appreciate these pictures of Farmall tractors: http://www.oldtractorpictures.com/Farmall/

My Beautiful Gal's next older sister Treasa and her husband James came to visit last week, arriving on Wednesday and leaving Saturday. James loved driving the new tractor. I had him picking up old brush piles and moving them to a burn area. I tried lighting the brush but it wouldn't burn. I guess the rain we had received the day before made it too wet to burn.

I have been having trouble with the skid steer quick attach on my new tractor. Twice I had the grapple come off, with the first time resulting in my ripping the hydraulic hoses off. And today, twice I had the tree shear come off, once while backing away from a tree I had cut close to the ground, and once while trying to cut a large limb probably 12 ft or so above the ground. Does anyone here on the forum have any idea why that would happen? I can post pictures if needed.

The new tractor is a lot more powerful than my old tractor. I have broken 4 shear bolts on the mower. The first time I broke the shear bolt was when I engaged the PTO with the engine revved up. I have since learned to engage the PTO while the tractor is idling. The other times have been when I was mowing and hit tree stumps. On my old tractor, the PTO clutch would simply bog down and the PTO shaft would stop turning. Not with this new tractor. I hope I don't end up breaking all of my PTO powered implements because they can't handle the torque!

Well, that's all the news here. I hope everyone has a great week! :frow

Senile Texas Aggie

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may not have enough need for one but I have a propane torch weed burner that I use to start my brush fires. I can justify it because I do get volunteered often to smoke a bunch of pork shoulders for fund raisers. I use the torch to start the hardwood on fire to get our lit coals easier/faster. A little diesel goes a long way to starting a fire along with the torch.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Absolutely! Check with the dealership about the grapple coming off, etc. They should be able to sort out the problems. Service is the watchword. Since you bought your nice new expensive tractor from them they are going to want you to bring it in for all the servicing and repairs so should give you good service now to keep you happy. They sure don't want you to be unhappy with the tractor you bought from them or their service. They want to keep their reputation.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Before I do so, I thought you folks might appreciate these pictures of Farmall tractors
Looks like the color options pretty much are red and rust ;)

Regarding the QA. Pictures may help. With nothing on it do the pins drop all the way down into the slots? And do they do so when the implement is on? And the the "V" at the top goes all the way into the implements? The only time I've had trouble is when someone :hide forgot to close the levers after swapping implements. Anyone else had to figure out how to get their forks out of the (unlit) fire ring? ;)

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
All,

I am still catching up on everyone's journals and have delayed posting what has been happening here. But something has come up that I thought I would share with everyone.

Yesterday we learned that my Beautiful Gal's next older sister, Treasa, and her husband, James, tested positive for COVID-19. They were tested a week before and just got back the results. James was admitted to the hospital. He has not gone into ICU yet, but is under care. He started developing delirium a few days before, and had a really bad cough during that time. He was exposed to COVID-19 positive relatives around July 4. Neither he nor his family members would wear masks. Even after showing symptoms, where he slept a lot longer and developed a cough, he still refused to wear a mask. He then gave the virus to his wife, who has COPD, She has yet to be admitted to the hospital but instead is staying at home, taking over-the-counter medication to treat the symptoms. Her younger daughter is looking after her at the moment. We will see how things turn out.

Senile Texas Aggie

Latest posts