Senile Texas Aggie - comic relief for the rest of you

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your input. I will contact the Arkansas NRCS office (the quail biologist is associated with that office) and see what they have to say. To help clarify what I was trying to say in my previous post. Here is a picture from Google Earth Pro with a circle indicating where the hole is now. The white line headed northeast is where the water flows from the hole underground until it resurfaces just inside the woods. The white line headed southwest is where water is running underground (the length of the line is unknown) from the pasture and becomes visible in the hole. I suspect that the water has been running underground for quite some time and the hole eventually opened up due to erosion underneath the ground to where the soil finally caved in.
20181101_144100_hole_in_pasture.JPG

Regarding soil geology, we have sandstone here more so than limestone, although I suppose that limestone could be present. I certainly haven't seen any.

Before I talk to the NRCS folks, do you think it would make sense to try to trace the source of the flow of the water from the pasture, or am I chasing a wild goose?

Senile Texas Aggie

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your input. I will contact the Arkansas NRCS office (the quail biologist is associated with that office) and see what they have to say. To help clarify what I was trying to say in my previous post. Here is a picture from Google Earth Pro with a circle indicating where the hole is now. The white line headed northeast is where the water flows from the hole underground until it resurfaces just inside the woods. The white line headed southwest is where water is running underground (the length of the line is unknown) from the pasture and becomes visible in the hole. I suspect that the water has been running underground for quite some time and the hole eventually opened up due to erosion underneath the ground to where the soil finally caved in.
View attachment 54114
Senile Texas Aggie
The hole is what I would call a sand boil.........maybe...depends on some more answers...

The plot thickens.......A sunny day near a town that knows how to keep its secrets but on the 2nd floor of a rural home, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions...

Assuming I have the compass points correct, and the flow indicated by black arrows equally correct, if you walk due south from the circle, following the Yellow arrow, how many feet (approx) will you walk before you get your own feet wet?
10 ft?
50 ft?
136.6 ft?

yellow arrow.jpg

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
if you walk due south from the circle, following the Yellow arrow, how many feet (approx) will you walk before you get your own feet wet?

If I am understanding your question, Mr. @greybeard, sir, maybe this larger picture will answer your question, The white square is the approximate location of the previous picture:

20181101_161800_wider_view.JPG

Right now, with the pasture really wet, you would not have to walk any distance to get your feet wet. Let the pastures dry out a couple of weeks, and then you won't get your feet wet until you step into the edge of the pond. In case it helps, the general slope of the northern 2/3 of the pasture, which includes the picture above, is east northeast, as indicated by the white arrow. So the water going into the hole from underground, and through the hole and back underground, is flowing in that general direction.

By the way, the allusion to "A Prairie Home Companion" made me smile. Thanks for the memories.

Senile Texas Aggie

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
By the way, the allusion to "A Prairie Home Companion" made me smile.
Me too. Good old Guy Noir!

Don't like the replacement host nor his music. "Live From Here" just doesn't cut it for me, haven't listened since about the 1st month though it occasionally comes on when I'm listening to the radio on my computer. Like the local "Friday Night Jazz", it gets turned off or switched to the BBC.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is this an accurate facsimile of 'the bigger picture' with the previous pic as an inset?
largesmall.jpg

I have to go take some photos to make some comparisons......
I think maybe somethings afoot........or has been in the past...

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mr. @greybeard, sir!

The two pictures are from different magnifications of the same area using Google Earth Pro. The date of the picture is Oct 2015. To look for yourself, enter 6872 S State Hwy 217, Booneville, AR 72927. As to whether the hole is Jimmy Hoffa's grave, it could be. Maybe a bear dug up his corpse and left the big hole there!

I think the tree that I didn't know what it was turns out to be an American Sycamore. I was unable to get a closeup of the leaves, as the lowest limbs on the trees appeared to be about 30 feet up. But I did take a closeup of the bark at ground level. Unfortunately, for some reason, I am unable to upload the closeup. (Danged slow cellphone Internet...)

Senile Texas Aggie

Attachments

• 20181102_122539_rotated.jpg
    20181102_122539_rotated.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 68