Senile Texas Aggie - comic relief for the rest of you

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're saying. I use mine with the quick hitch and the top link like greybeard said.
Some full quick hitches don't work with a standard yoke & boom 3 pt phd. The QH needs the tractor's top link bracket to hold itself to the tractor. Particularly true of tractors with a little age on them.
They do make a phd specifically for those type quick hitches, but they are several hundred $$ more than a standard yoke & boom phd and they will only work on that type qh.

The QHs that are just 2 bolt on/pin on brackets for each of the lift arms will allow you to use a 3 pt PHD.

qhtl.jpg

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a version of the full QH on his 5045 John Deere. It's a pita to change from his mower to his box blade, as the top hook position has to be changed up or down on the QH, which involves getting out wrenches and removing two 3/4" bolt and nuts to raise the hook for the mower or lower it for the box blade and if you lengthen out the top link on the qh to get the mower to sit as it should, the top pin will slip out of the hook if you aren't careful. That makes moot the whole premise of a quick hitch, and of course, he also has a PHD, & he has to remove the whole QH to use the phd. He usually just opts to call me to bring my tractor and PHD, which is how I ended up twisting it's drive shaft off last month.
:he

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have a nice flat place to store and connect/disconnect your implements?

Yes, at least reasonably flat outside the shop (and perfectly flat inside it ;).

I grew up on tractors..it's where I learned to drive.

Y’all lose me when you talk tractors.

Miss @Wehner Homestead, I am with you regarding tractors and equipment. But I am learning to use them (and regrettably how to tear them up)!

which is how I ended up twisting it's drive shaft off last month.

Sorry to hear about that, Mr. @greybeard, sir! What happened? Just asking, in case I ever get a PHD.

Senile Texas Aggie

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
hit a root from a nearby oak tree and it had been so long since I had sheared a pin or removed the drive shaft from the phd gear box, the shear pin couldn't shear--drive shaft's u-joint hub was rusted to the input shaft of the gearbox. Shaft torqued up and twisted in half about a foot & 1/2 from the tractor's pto shaft.
Phdshaft.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The QHs that are just 2 bolt on/pin on brackets for each of the lift arms will allow you to use a 3 pt PHD.
True. I don't know how many variations there are but "Pat's Easy Change 3 Point Hitch System" is one of them and is probably the better choice if someone has a lot of non quick hitch compatible implements.
http://www.pats3pointhitchsystem.com/page/7229