Senile Texas Aggie - comic relief for the rest of you

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Grandfather waggled his finger at me and said, "Never ASSUME anything, it makes an A$$ of U and ME."
Which is why I capitalize it so people (might) know that I don't necessarily expect it to be true but I give it better than 50% odds.

My mom always says the same thing!
Same here. How many here HAVEN'T heard it from mom or dad?

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
All,

Regarding why I disabled receiving private messages, no one here was mean or rude or anything else like that. I can recall the following conversations:

+ a conversation with numerous participants that had to do with asking who might be interested in hosting a farmer intern type person (I don't remember that person's name, but I think it was Miss @Baymule who started the conversation). Since I didn't have anything to teach the intern (other than how NOT to do things), I didn't respond. But no issue there.

+ a conversation with Mr. @CntryBoy777, where he provided me with his contact information, which was in preparation for the move from Mississippi to Florida. No issue there.

+ two conversations from someone who checked on me while I was off the forum during that family issue that came up. The fact that they reached out to me meant a lot to me. No issue there.

+ a conversation from someone who contacted me about a potentially controversial post, thanking me for it. During our conversation, we briefly discussed the book Wholly Unraveled. They shared a bit with me about their upbringing, which touched me deeply. In fact, I would like to pass on this thought to that person, as best expressed by Shaina Nole:

So no problem there.

+ a conversation with someone (which all of you know about, who kindly pointed out how I was being rude to others with my personal questions. I very much appreciated (and still do) that they contacted me about that. I also very much appreciate the support that you folks gave me to overlook my unintended rudeness. That meant a lot to me.

Those are all of the conversations I can recall that I ever participated in. So it was not who contacted me, nor what they said, nor anything else related to here on the forum. It was entirely related to outside the forum, and is related to why I was unable to help with Fred's move. Now onto more interesting things.

I managed to get about 2/3 of the tree cut up. When I cut through the main trunk of the tree, about 10 feet from the root, I was surprised to discover just how rotten in the center the tree was:
20191022_085455_rotten_core.jpg
There was no sign of the rot on the outside. I thought the tree was healthy. Now I am worried about the big oak tree next to the house, wondering if it may be rotten on the inside and could fall on the house with a big wind coming from the north. Do any of you know how to determine if a tree is suffering from core rot?

Senile Texas Aggie

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a lot of rot!! I would think an arborist could help see if the tree is healthy. Don't know how but it might be a simple as a small bore sample. Definitely don't want that landing on the house next time the wind rips.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know how to test a tree for internal rot. Perhaps your county extension agent could or point you to an arborist who could check the health of the tree. You would be sick about it if the tree fell on the house and you sure wouldn't feel very good if you felled the tree and it was solid on the inside.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
All,

Well, I finally got the fallen tree cut up, and all but the large trunk of the main tree (about 10 feet or so) moved. Boy, am I tired! I don't see how the lumberjacks work all day doing that kind of work.

The last bit of work this morning was quite trying for the workplace safety officer, as she and I were sometimes of different opinions on how best to cut up the tree. I usually deferred to the safety officer, as I tend to get in a hurry at times and put myself at unnecessary risk. The safety officer wanted to just leave the tree as is, but that was something I insisted on not doing. We reached compromises along the way, and so I finally got the tree cut up and moved.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier on my journal -- two weeks or so ago, I received the hydraulic top link that I ordered from TSC and got it installed without too much trouble. Having that is really nice! When I want to raise the rear part of the landscape rake or shredder really high, I simply shorten the link, and the rear end rises way up! This makes it easier to back up over something without getting tangled up. Then when I lower the 3-pt hitch, if I choose, I can lengthen the top link so the rear part goes way down. So I am glad I bought it.

Finally, in case anyone was wondering, the image associated with the song "How Could Anyone" was that of a romantic couple. I didn't know that what the image was when I chose it. Instead, I think of the words of the song as something a parent might say to a child who is being bullied at school, or perhaps what a favorite aunt or uncle would say to a child when the child's parents are treating them badly. (If you read the summary of the book Wholly Unraveled, you will see that is what I had in mind.)

We have a 60% chance of rain tomorrow, so I may be taking the day off from working outside and maybe get the oil changed in the tractor, Gator, and lawn mower.

I hope everyone has a nice evening and a great day tomorrow!

Senile Texas Aggie