Senile Texas Aggie - comic relief for the rest of you

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cut any of the stone fruit trees, ie wild cherry trees, in the late fall after all the leaves are off. The animals don't care much for the bark unless they are near to starving. The trees can lay there until you get them cut up for firewood. They make good logs to burn because cherry is a good hard wood. Big ones can make some very pretty wood to work into furniture and such.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gosh, everyone, thanks for all of your responses. I figured you folks would know already, but in case you didn't, or in case someone else stumbles on these postings, maybe it can help them.

The first thing this morning I placed all of the boards I had bought onto the bridge frame and tried to pick up the frame and boards with the tractor. I could. Then my Beautiful Gal and I got busy. She drilled the pilot holes using the drill and started the screws, while I drove the screws with the impact wrench. With her adult supervision and professional help, we got the deck on the frame. Here is a picture of the completed bridge:
20191203_120205_completed_bridge.jpg

Next came the real test -- will the bridge hold up the tractor? Here is the result. (Miss @Rammy was kind enough to appear so that none of you, especially her, would be shocked to see what the real Senile Texas Aggie looks like.)
20191203_122305_tractor_on_bridge_miss_rammy.jpg

I hope everyone has a wonderful rest of the day!

Senile Texas Aggie

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @farmerjan,

Thanks for asking about me. Regarding the bridge, we have yet to try it out, as the area where we needed the bridge to get to is still a bit soggy. It is right next to the creek and has had a good bit of creek overflow deposited there. Together with lots of trees to get out, we are trying to let it dry out well before trying to get in that area with the tractor.

We have been working on other parts of the farm while waiting on the soggy area along the creek to dry out. The first area where we have worked is pictured below, labeled "A".
20191211_152900_mid_south_and_southern_mowed_pastures_labeled.JPG

My Beautiful Gal wasn't happy with our having trimmed along the edge of the woods next to "A", so we decided to thin out the woods quite a bit along that edge. We stopped after a couple of days because the tractor was getting the ground muddy there, so we wanted to let it dry out a bit. Our goal is to clear out that part of the woods till we can easily get to a stand of tall pine trees that is just west of there. There are almost no briars or smaller trees there among the tall pines, and hearing the wind in the trees is really magical. So we will finish once the ground dries out soon.

Yesterday and today I decided to trim along the line of trees labeled "B", "C", and "D" in the picture using the tree shear. That thing is amazing! It sure beats trying to reach the base of a tree, especially a cedar, with a saw, even a chain saw. I managed to get all of the "B" part done, most of the "C" part done, and part of the "D" part done. I finally remembered to take some pictures as well. (I have been urging Mr. @Mike CHS to take pictures whenever he worked along his fence line, and yet would forget to do the same! :he) Once I get finished cutting the trees, picking up all of the brush, and then mowing the freshly cut area, I will post the "before" and "after" pictures for comparison.

Senile Texas Aggie

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Where have you been lately? Not too many posts..... maybe that's good because you haven't had any "interesting incidents" to report !!!!!

You are right -- I haven't had any "interesting incidents" to report. I do have 2 short video clips of my using the tree shear that I have yet to post to YouTube. Once I finally get that done, then I'll post them here on BYH.

Speaking of the tree shear, the battery that powers the receiver and solenoid to pivot the clipper head has gone bad. I haven't decided whether to contact the manufacturer, try to order a replacement battery, or simply bypass the receiver entirely and drive the solenoid from wires connected to the tractor.

One thing that has kept me busy the past few days is that I ordered a new laptop, as our previous laptop was getting long in the tooth. It runs Windows 7, while the new one runs Windows 10. Learning where Microsoft put everything in the new user interface has been taking quite a while. Plus, installing the software that I like to use has taken some time: Mozilla Firefox as the default Web browser, DuckDuckGo as the default search engine, and Bitdefender as the default antivirus has taken quite a bit of time, especially considering our SLOW Internet speeds. I still have Mozilla Thunderbird to install, and probably some others that don't come to mind. But I am getting there. I hope to start posting more regularly once I get the laptop configured.

Senile Texas Aggie

Latest posts