Senile Texas Aggie - comic relief for the rest of you

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
No worries here STA! I may have an overdeveloped sense of humor which can come across as rudeness to some.
The exchanges via internet forums can be cumbersome since it's not in person and difficult sometimes to gauge another's intent.

As for me, I am not offended by questions, if it's something I'd rather not answer, I just won't answer! LOL

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Miss @thistlebloom, Miss @Wild Bug Ranch, Miss @bethh, Miss @Larsen Poultry Ranch, Miss @Duckfarmerpa1, Miss @drstratton, @Miss @MuldrowHomeFarm, Miss @Chickensreally, and others I may have missed,

I am specifically calling you out in this post to make you aware of my having Asperger Syndrome and how that affects my wording and behavior at times. I was reminded of my condition when I mentioned it on Miss @Ridgetop's journal in this post: https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/ridgetop-our-place-and-how-we-muddle-along.38119/post-657313.

You folks joined the forum since I last described it in detail on my journal (located at https://www.backyardherds.com/threa...-relief-for-the-rest-of-you.38161/post-622357). I posted that description because I had posted some quite (unintentionally) intrusive questions on other folks' journals. Fortunately, someone on the forum kindly contacted me to point out how rude I was being. (To the person who kindly contacted me, I again say "Thank you".) Recently I even asked such a question of you, Miss @thistlebloom, when I asked about the name of a lake that appeared in a picture you posted. Fortunately, you did not take offense and even made a joke about not wanting folks from Texas coming for a visit!

So if I ever ask what you consider to be an intrusive or personal question, please know I mean no offense. Instead, please state you consider it too intrusive or personal and I will apologize.

Senile Texas Aggie
Thanks for being upfront and open. I will keep this in mind if I ever feel that way. I hope you’re having a wonderful day.

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Miss @thistlebloom, Miss @Wild Bug Ranch, Miss @bethh, Miss @Larsen Poultry Ranch, Miss @Duckfarmerpa1, Miss @drstratton, @Miss @MuldrowHomeFarm, Miss @Chickensreally, and others I may have missed,

I am specifically calling you out in this post to make you aware of my having Asperger Syndrome and how that affects my wording and behavior at times. I was reminded of my condition when I mentioned it on Miss @Ridgetop's journal in this post: https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/ridgetop-our-place-and-how-we-muddle-along.38119/post-657313.

You folks joined the forum since I last described it in detail on my journal (located at https://www.backyardherds.com/threa...-relief-for-the-rest-of-you.38161/post-622357). I posted that description because I had posted some quite (unintentionally) intrusive questions on other folks' journals. Fortunately, someone on the forum kindly contacted me to point out how rude I was being. (To the person who kindly contacted me, I again say "Thank you".) Recently I even asked such a question of you, Miss @thistlebloom, when I asked about the name of a lake that appeared in a picture you posted. Fortunately, you did not take offense and even made a joke about not wanting folks from Texas coming for a visit!

So if I ever ask what you consider to be an intrusive or personal question, please know I mean no offense. Instead, please state you consider it too intrusive or personal and I will apologize.

Senile Texas Aggie
I have never felt that from you! Thank you for sharing. 💞

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks to every one of you for your understanding! I hope not to do something stupid in a hurtful kind of way. (Doing something stupid in a comic kind of way comes naturally to me).

Calling all tractor owners! I have avoided doing any more work around or homestead that involved using the mower, as I am rather reluctant to break another shear pin. I fear that if I break many more that I will end up breaking the shaft coming out of the mower's gear box. But I need to make a decision soon, as grass keeps growing, whether I mow it or not.

If I decide to buy a new mower, what type and brand of mower would you recommend I buy or avoid? I currently have a Rhino SE-6 rotary cutter sometimes called a bush hog, although that is a brand name for that style cutter. But maybe I should consider a flail mower. Whatever kind or brand of mower I get, it needs to be able to handle hitting small stumps and sometimes ground contact as well as cutting small trees (< 2" in diameter). So what recommendations for type and brand do you have that I should consider or avoid?

Also, as I have mentioned here before, in lieu of buying a new mower I am considering buying a slip clutch for the mower or PTO drive line from the tractor. There are several slip clutches listed at TS's web site. Here are two of them:

1596722820998.png
$189.99. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ch-1-3-8-in-6-spline-both-ends?cm_vc=-10005##. This one looks interesting, as it appears to go over the spline on the tractor. It could protect not only the mower but my wood chipper as well. But I don't know if the clutch would clear the surrounding frame and shield around the tractor's PTO spline.

1596723359525.png
$129.99. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-clutch-1-3-8-in-round-both-ends?cm_vc=IOPDP1. This one looks like it would protect the mower. I am not sure that the other end of the clutch has a female receptacle on the shaft to fit over the shaft coming from the mower's gear box. If not, then I don't see how I could use this.

Comments?

Senile Texas Aggie

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are way out of my knowledge level with the slip clutches but the first one looks interesting. I suspect you would need to temporarily take the shield off to install it. After that you can just attach the PTO shaft as usual. Then I guess you have to think about: are there any attachments you have or want that would NOT work as well with the slip clutch in place. If so, how easy or hard it is to install/remove the clutch could help make a decision.

I don't think you want a flail if you plan on hitting stumps or cutting big diameter trees. The knives or hammers would not take kindly to being slammed into stumps. I think mine is rated only for 1" and I don't know that I would want to run those over before they got to the flail anyway. You CAN back up over something with a flail but you darn well better know that you aren't going to be shoving the rear roller into something. With a rotary mower you can mow in reverse as well as forward. I think the rotary mowers have the blades attached at one end so the can bounce off objects without too much damage. I think that no matter what mower you have, when you are in the "stumps and high ground" areas, drive slow and keep that hand on the 3 pt lever!

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think you want a flail if you plan on hitting stumps or cutting big diameter trees. The knives or hammers would not take kindly to being slammed into stumps. I think mine is rated only for 1" and I don't know that I would want to run those over before they got to the flail anyway. You CAN back up over something with a flail but you darn well better know that you aren't going to be shoving the rear roller into something. With a rotary mower you can mow in reverse as well as forward. I think the rotary mowers have the blades attached at one end so the can bounce off objects without too much damage. I think that no matter what mower you have, when you are in the "stumps and high ground" areas, drive slow and keep that hand on the 3 pt lever!

That's what I thought regarding a flail mower, but I wanted to hear it from someone who owns one. Believe me, I have learned the hard way about going slow and being quick to raise the 3-pt hitch and the transmission clutch at the same time!

You could also check and see what it would cost to have the stumps ground down. Most I can get out with my tractor (during the wet season) but I have had the grinder out a couple of times and it's pretty reasonable.

I have considered buying a stump grinder for the tractor. Do you or anyone else have a good one you could recommend?

Senile Texas Aggie