Herd Master
Reaction score

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here are two pictures for the price of one:

Yesterday's sunrise:
20210928_065455.jpg

The pups from this afternoon. I would have gotten a closer picture but they tend to get excited and dancing around, making for a blurry picture.
20210929_135034.jpg

Senile Texas Aggie

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dried pastures...

That is what I am dealing with now. We have not had any serious rain since early July and the pastures show it. I would not be surprised if the guy who is leasing our pastures says that he is not going to bale any hay because there is so little grass to be cut. If he decides that, I am wondering what should I do. Should I (1) let the grass stand as it si until next year, when with spring growth will be cut for 1st cutting, (2) cut the grass before the first killing frost to give the grass longer to decompose, or (3) cut the grass after the first killing frost to help ensure the seeds get a help in rooting?

Any advice is appreciated...

Senile Texas Aggie

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If he is not going to make any hay just cut it whenever it suits you. It won't make any big difference at this point; before or after frost. Seeds are as mature as they are going to be, they won't root until spring, cut over grass as mulch will not make a big difference at this point. If you have some longer spells of warmth the earthworms will start to work on decomposing it but not a whole lot. We have places that will get bush hogged as soon as we get to them. The weed seeds are mature, grass seeds are mature, all you are doing is chopping up the stalky stuff now...
We are cutting now for late growth from the last 2 rains in the last month. It is thin and sparse, but there is some grass and we need the sq bales. He is going to cut some of the orchard grass in about 2 weeks, all according to what the weather does.... needs longer to dry with the shorter days, not as intense sun, cooler nights, and the heavy dew in the morning. Won't be alot but should be enough to get us through with the sq bale horse customers.

Latest posts