Senile Texas Aggie - comic relief for the rest of you

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
In my ex-husband's family, when my ex father-in-law's parents died, the siblings fought bitterly over everything. Those men, good men, died never speaking to each other again. So sad. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. My ex-husband and his father, got crossways with each other and didn't speak for years. For my ex-FIL it was probably an improvement, his son spread vicious lies about him and was a complete jerk. My ex FIL dropped dead of a heart attack. My ex husband raced over, hugging his father's dead body and crying. Too late.

My ex cozied back up to his mother for a few years, but a leopard can't change it's spots and he turned on her too. At least she got the last laugh, she left him nothing in the will/trust. Hahaha!

What a screwball, contentious, bickering bunch of back stabbers. I'm still friends with my ex-sister-in-law. We always stayed friends. She lives within rock throwing of her brother, they haven't spoken in years. He really hates her now-she got everything. Haw! Haw! Haw!

Why can't people just get along?

STA I really hope you can make a difference. Family differences can be difficult to overcome. Sometimes they take it to their grave.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Senile_Texas_Aggie , I hope your two relatives will be able to reconcile. I hope they will start to put your mother’s welfare above their own complaints.

We have a situation in our family this year, between one of my sons and one of my son-in-laws. I really hope it is not still continuing in 5 years’ time.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
All,

I am sure you have heard of the philosophical question "If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?". Well, I have something like that, only "If snow falls on Jan 2 and someone is slow to post a picture of it, did it really happen?" That applies to me. We woke up on Jan 2 to see snow on the mountaintops(*) around us. I took a picture of the snow but then was slow to transfer the picture to my laptop where I could edit the picture to make it smaller (fewer pixels) and then post it. I have finally done that! Here is that picture of snow on the mountaintops:

20220102_080254.jpg

Senile Texas Aggie

* if Miss Thistlebloom were still on the forum, she'd be rolling her eyes right now about my calling the hills around me "mountains", considering the height of the Rocky Mountains in northern Idaho. But for someone like me who grew up in a county where the highest point in the county was only about 50 feet higher than the lowest point, I call these hills mountains!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with Alaskan about writing to the relatives and explaining about your mother's grief at not seeing both of them at once. With a letter you can reword it until it says everything the way you want instead of talking and accidently saying something for one of them to take the wrong way. Probably just explaining about their mother's feelings would be best, certainly don't try to settle the cause of their disagreement. Sometimes coming between 2 people with grievances can make both of the turn on you.

I do want to say that you might not be able to repair their feelings since they really need to
want to be friends. Were they good friends before or have they never really gotten along? Sometimes these things are not repairable, and although your mom has asked you to do this for her, it is possible that you will not be able to accomplish it.

If you are unable to attain a rapprochement between the two relatives, please do not feel responsible in any way for not being able to meet your mom's wishes. It is not your fault and although you can try, success lies on them.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
"If snow falls on Jan 2 and someone is slow to post a picture of it, did it really happen?"
Yes, because we know you to be an honest person ;)

DD1 in VA still has no power, 3 days now. A foot of snow though we've seen no pictures we believe her too ;)

DW's sister in Alexandria, VA posted pictures of her snowshoeing. More snow there than here. Plus another 2-4" tomorrow.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce .....Sorry for your DD1 not having any power. Radio said power had been restored across the state so.....????? I can believe the foot of snow, especially since there was quite a bit of wind and a farmer friend of mine said they had some blown drifts that were 3 ft deep. They got more snow east of here... and we are forecast to get another 3-6 on top of the 6-8 we had, on Thursday eve/night... into Friday; going to be around 35-40 highs tomorrow then dropping like a rock to single digits on Friday and Saturday....

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks again, Miss @Ridgetop and others, for posting your thoughts as to how to handle the situation in the family. I am still thinking through what to do.

Thanks, Mr. @Bruce and Miss @farmerjan, for posting about the weather. Do either of you have pictures of the snow around your places?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not enough snow here to talk about. DW can't even use her new snow shoes.

DD1 STILL has no power. 4 days now?? Had to have gotten old about 3 days ago. I see on the power company's website that the BF must have put in a new report at 10:20 this morning as there is an icon right on the house. Says 3 houses have no power. Cause under investigation, no crew assigned. Apparently they had some flickers last night, they were supposed to be fixed about 10:30 PM.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Power outage in winter! UGG and BRR!

First winter in our house (moved in mid-October) had a massive storm come in and knock out our power. We used the fireplace and slept in sleeping bags in front of it. Electric stove and oven so no hot food. Had to use candles. Did not have camper or trailer then so no stove. Youngest was only 2. Rabbit bottles kept freezing and I had to replace the twice a day. No hot water after second day because hot water heater used electric ignition!

DH worked for power company so you would think we would get our power on pronto but no! And he was working 24/7 storm detail! He kept reporting our house with no power, and crews kept going out on the call, but no power. They couldn't figure out why crews kept going out to main lines and they kept saying it was back on. After a week a crew showed up at our house and replaced our transformer.

Found out that storm had fried the transformer on our pole, and we were the only house fed from that transformer! Everyone else had power except our house for over a week. It was super cold too. 30's and 40's. Felt like a snowbound pioneer woman trying to make sure the fire didn't go out!

Love my power and heating.

Latest posts