Senior horse

fairview610

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am no where new to horse ownership been riding and showing since I was a small child but I have never had a senior horse, they have always been on the younger side. Sunday I am taking in a 26 year old paint mare. She is thin but in good health over all. Very sweet and gentle horse. The guy I am getting her has had her since she was a baby, he said he has to many horses and just wants her to have a good retirement home and I need a friend for my donkey. Just wanted some advice for my new girl for some of my fellow BYHers with experience with seniors. I will post some pics when she gets here!

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
i have two seniors right now, both have been a little tough to keep weight on so senior feed and beet pulp is a good route to take. if shes really not in need of gaining much maybe just continue to do what the previous owner is doing and just adjust accordingly to her weight, you can up the feed she is on slowly, or add beet pulp to the ration shes getting now. as a senior she could also have worn teeth, might be a good idea to have them checked and one thing i do for my senior pony is soak his grain so its easier to chew and he doesnt drop the pellets. good luck with your girl!!

fairview610

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks! Thats what I had in mind just wanted to hear from someone with experience to see how it worked for them! I am excited to have the opportunity to get her! He said she is not a hard keeper usually just on grass alone but she had lostsome weight from the heat.

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My mare is 22 this year and at her last vet check he told me the most important thing to do is have good upkeep on her teeth and if she ever needs them floated to do them right away. She didn't need any work done but he meant in the future. He also said just keep an eye on her weight and if I notice her losing weight to fix it before she loses too much. Pretty simple. :D My dad had his last 2 mares make it to 32 and 33 years old so I am hoping my girl sticks around for another 10 years, I just love having a senior around. :love

Symphony

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
daisychick said:
My mare is 22 this year and at her last vet check he told me the most important thing to do is have good upkeep on her teeth and if she ever needs them floated to do them right away. She didn't need any work done but he meant in the future. He also said just keep an eye on her weight and if I notice her losing weight to fix it before she loses too much. Pretty simple. :D My dad had his last 2 mares make it to 32 and 33 years old so I am hoping my girl sticks around for another 10 years, I just love having a senior around. :love
Ditto, teeth on old horses are very important to keep in condition. I have a 30 year old mare and she is an easy keeper but you have to keep an eye on those teeth.

fairview610

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I know how important teeth health are to horses, esp seniors. I grew up showing horses and have cared for senior horses in the past. I guess I'm just a little nervous to have my own! Thank y:hideou all for the advice. I can't wait for her to be here!!!