sensitive doe

parjackson

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My LaMancha doe is due to kid in about 2 weeks (allegedly!) and every time I run my hands gently but firmly along her sides or on her belly she gets upset. I was trying to see if I could feel any movement and to see if she was starting to make a bag. Is her sensitivity to being touched "down there" normal, or should I be concerned that she won't allow her kid(s) to nurse or allow us to milk her? Is there any way I can help her become more accustomed to being touched? I have been trying to work with her every day, petting her, brushing her, but we don't seem to be making any progress.

I can let go of my dreams of having goats' milk for my family, but I'm worried about what may happen when she kids. All advice will be greatly appreciated!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
This is pretty normal. One of my best milkers will kick the crud out of you if you mess with her udder before she kids...or rub her belly.

I would leave it alone, aside from the quick check for firmness and ligs, and try again after she kids to get her accustomed to handling.

NubianNerd

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Pretty much what Helmstead says-does are kinda strange when they're pregnant. Mine usually reverse their personalities completely! But they become great moms.
Good luck, I love LaManchas!

sweetshoplady

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Don't let go of your dream to have a nice easy to handle milk goat. One of my goats doesn't want to be touched down there unless she's on the stand. Pregnant or not.

If she's this late in her pregnancy, she's probably rather uncomfortable. I know my does looked pretty uncomfortable at that point.

I'm a new goat owner, only had them 1 year, my first time with pregnant does. So I am by no means an expert, however, I do have very easy to work with goats. I can share a couple of things that people shared with me that made my experience much easier:

A routine. Milk twice a day (once you get to that point) at as close to 12 hours at a time, and at the same time each day. Goats do like routine.

Feed on the stand. They'll hop right up there looking for the goodies. I use the stand a lot, even to trim feet.

Patience, and a sense of humor and more patience and a sense of humor. We all have days we step in the milk bucket. :)

If you're spending time with her, it'll pay off. And definitely listen to and read Helmstead's other posts. She really knows goaties. :)

Looking forward to seeing mama and kid(s) pics.

parjackson

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your responses. I really adore my little doe and the feelings seem to be mutual...she follows me everywhere! I'm just a nervous wreck with the whole first time kidding thing (for both of us). I have read and studied every book I can find, but I'm still not ready!!!!

I'm sure I'll be posting a hundred other questions over the next 2-3 weeks, so bear with me!

Thanks again, everyone!

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Its notmal as I have some you cant touch their udder or check ligaments unless your really fast and cant do it every day as they wise up ..then I have some you can touch all you want. Dont worry she will hollar for you when the time is right. I have 1 that wont let me touch her the whole time she is pg but let her get ready to kid and she is screaming her head off for me to get out there to help. With this being said just cop a feel every once in a while. She will jump and run but at least you will kinda know when she is getting close. Good luck

Latest posts