1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Do you think Pony Rides should be allowed at Fairs? - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

Discussion in 'Livestock Guardians' started by Baymule, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Sep 22, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

We have two Great Pyrenees, Paris and Trip. Paris is 10 and Trip will be 5 in November. Now is a good time to introduce and train a new puppy. I have been wanting an Anatolian. I was on a Facebook Sheep and goat group when I saw a post for a very Anatolian looking puppy. I kept going back to that post, looking at that puppy. Finally I contacted the lady.

The puppy is 4 months old. His mom is Anatolian, his dad is Great Pyrenees and Akbash. He has been raised with Sheep and goats, horses, chickens and a pig.

We drove to Kaufman, only an hour away on Wednesday and got him.

The ride home. Look at that sweet face!

[​IMG]

Introducing a wether.

[​IMG]

I put the puppy in a pen for the night. Next morning, he was out, still in the Sheep lot, but not in his pen. I went to work, finding his escape holes and covering them up. Much of our pens are constructed out of cow panels, they have 6” holes and the puppy can squeeze through them. I got his pen secured. He is in the barn, with Sheep on 3 sides.

[​IMG]

The reason for penning him up, he is a puppy. When a puppy plays with littermates and the play gets too rough, the other pup will cry out, Yelp or whine. This is the signal “It hurts! Stop”. The puppy then knows to stop playing. But if a puppy is playing with a lamb and bites it, the lamb runs in terror-silently or saying BAA BAA! Since the puppy doesn’t speak terrified lamb, and the lamb doesn’t speak roughed up littermate, it is game on! The puppy then learns to chase and bite the sheep or whatever animals it is with. It takes time to teach proper behavior.

So, what to name him? He was in the lamb pen, exhibiting proper behavior. Keeping a respectful distance, alert, watching his lambs. It came to me, Sentry.

[​IMG]

Today we introduced Sentry to Trip and Carson. Carson was all about greeting a new friend!
    [​IMG]

Trip was reserved, not antagonistic, which was a good thing. Sentry jumped up on Trip, Trip turned his head away. Sentry jumped on the other side, Trip turned his the other way. We stood outside the pasture, watching. What an affront on Trip’s dignity.

[​IMG]

Finally Trip had enough and bit Sentry. Not hard, but a dominant bite. Trip growled and bit Sentry up and down like we eat corn on the cob. Trip nose bumped him, poking Sentry hard.

[​IMG]

Sentry submitted and rolled over.

[​IMG]

Trip chewed on Sentry’s throat, legs, belly and growled.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. Sep 22, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

Oh my goodness - he is gorgeous! Congrats - I can't wait to follow his journey!

3. Sep 22, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

When Trip was satisfied that Sentry knew his place in the pack, he let the puppy up.

[​IMG]

Sentry went a respectful distance away and laid down. He’s in the pack now.

[​IMG]

After I fed Sentry this evening, he squeezed through a cow panel to follow me into the pen of pregnant ewes and the ram. Lady Baa Baa butted Sentry in the side, lifting him off the ground and doing a flip before he landed in a heap. She was teaching him Sheep manners.

Later, Sentry, Trip, Carson and I took a walk around the pasture, letting Sentry hang out with the Big Boys before I put him up for the night.

4. Sep 22, 2019
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

Looks like a really Nice pup Bay!!.....glad it is going smoothly so far.....but, the real test will be Paris and how she greets him....hope it all goes really Well and he settles in to his new "digs".......:)

5. Sep 22, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Thank you! He is a licky-face sweet puppy. It is easy to see the LGD in him.

6. Sep 22, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

You got that right! LOL I will let them get acquainted through the fence for awhile before letting them together. She is getting older and slowing down, but is still fast enough to kill snakes and whup a puppy's butt! :lol:

7. Sep 22, 2019
    luvmypets

luvmypets Herd Master

Needed a smile tonight, thanks bay

8. Sep 22, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

You are welcome! That first picture makes me smile too. He was going off to sleep, but wanted to keep his face in my hands so I could keep stroking him.

9. Sep 22, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops Herd Master

Oh my goodness!!! He's adorable!:love:love
    Congratulations! He'll be an amazing dog for you :highfive: Love his name too.

10. Sep 23, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Congratulations on the new family member, looks like he fits in just fine :clap:love

CntryBoy777, Baymule and AmberLops like this.