Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am too! And he's beautiful, on top of that. I would LOVE to have a dog that stays with the livestock, no matter what happens. Got my eye on some Anatolian breeders in KY that have some decently priced pups, good looking working dogs on sheep, poultry and horses. May be able to get one in the spring when I am grazing full time.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you @farmerjan!! I think he’s going to be the best dog I’ve ever had. He shows me something new almost every day. I have the benefit of having Trip and Paris, who have taught me how to be a better partner with LGD’s.

Yesterday I let Sentry in the ewe/lamb barn and dry lot. He went to the up turned milk crate, cocking his head towards it. I sit on it to pet, praise, watch and correct him. He was expecting me to sit on it, so I did. We had a lamb lesson, then I put him back in the pasture to play with the other dogs. I am in awe of this puppy.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK, Dog Whisperers, I need some advice. Sentry paws at me, wanting attention, even when he is getting attention. His sharp claws will eventually scratch and be annoying, if not painful as he grows. I don't want him to do this to our grand daughters, it is a bad habit. He's not a Labrador, I'm not teaching him to "shake" or
high five" like I have taught dogs before.

right now I push his paw away, saying No--about a thousand times. It seems ingrained into him, a part of his chemical makeup. I've tried holding his paw until it becomes uncomfortable and he struggles to get it back, while talking to him and interjecting No. When I let go, he just paws again.

Hmmm...… maybe I need to stop, utterly ignoring him, having him sit until he is still, then pet him and praise...….. Thinking out loud here, anybody got any ideas?

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
The best thing to do to stop the pawing is to either completely ignore him ( or walk away) and only offer praise when he turns his attention to something else. OR to give a command every time he does it....you would have to be really persistent but the 2nd trick works really well. Every time he paws at you, tell him to sit or lie down. When he does, give him praise right away. It will take a coupe weeks, but he's smart and he'll figure it out :)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our foster daughter taught our doberdoodle to shake and "hold hands" now she does the pawing things to us all the time even when we are petting her....its annoying and sometimes painful. Worse yet...she taught her to "give hugs" basically teaching her to jump up on her back legs and put her front feet over your shoulders :somad We hate it and are trying to train both out of her now. She also kept feeding them while eatting so we are having to re-train them there too. kids :he

The only thing i havnt tried for the paw thing is ignoring her...so try that, nothing else has worked.