Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear from you Devon! Sorry about the knee. I suppose even mechanical knees wear out? Maybe it is just a tweak and will get better.
Thanks Bruce. It’s good to be back. Although I still don’t really have a lot of time to be posting much.

I’m hoping my knee gets better soon! Actually, today it wasn’t quite as bad, so I am a bit more hopeful that I won’t need to see a doctor about it.

Today, I was supposed to get out in the garden early, but found a problem with an bill pay that needed fixing online. After I got that fixed, I realized I needed to call the eye doctor, because my right eye (Which I injured on July 6th, and for which I ended up in the ER) was still tearing up and burning slightly. So, I called his office, and prince that he is, he let me go in, in spite a full schedule. It turned out the infection is gone, but I still have inflammation, and need steroid drops. So, that meant a trip to Walmart, where I had to wait for the prescription, which took a while. By the time I got home it was after noon, which meant it was too late for me to get out in the garden, because it was already really hot out.

Well, not really, I got the hose out and watered the things I have already planted and then I spread used straw, over my ginger and garlic bed. The straw came from under the 3 Pekin ducklings (which were in the barn) - they are now big enough, that we have moved them out with the others. After I spread the straw, I watered all my seedlings, which I have moved out onto the lawn (from the covered front porch). I wanted them to get used to the sun before I plant them in the garden. But they dry out a lot quicker in the sun.

Since two of my tables are empty, I decided to spray down the porch, to clean it up. That turned out to be a bigger project than I expected, but now it looks so nice and fresh and clean!!! When I was done with that, I got some soapy water and a scrub brush and cleaned up our plastic lawn chairs. They were pretty messy from being outside for the past several years. Now they (almost) sparkle like new. :D

We also watered the five elderberry bushes, which are still in half - 30 gallon barrels. In this heat, they have been drying out quickly, in spite grass clippings, put there by DH. So, we got the straw bale out and stuffed straw all around the plants, as much as the barrel would hold. Then I watered the straw, to keep everything nice and wet. Hopefully we won’t have to water every-other-day now.

After the sun got low enough, that the front yard (where the garden is) had shade, we got out there with the rototiller, and tilled more of a new area that we are adding. We plan to turn that into a lasagna garden for vegetables and flowers. There were crab and Bermuda grasses in there, and we don’t want it creeping up between our veggies, so we tilled and raked up the clumps of Bermuda and crab grass. That FILLED our garden wagon.

Then we went out and did chores. When we were finished with that, I started clipping fur mats off of Deo. Every Summer, he sheds, big time, and gets huge mats which need clipping. Violet has beautiful fur, that only gets small mats, which come out easily. She really is a beautiful dog! Well, Deo is a beautiful dog too. He just needs a lot more grooming than Violet does. :)

Tomorrow morning we plan to get up early, and get back at it, so we can get a lot done before it gets too hot to work - around 11:00 or 12:00. So I had better bet myself off to bed, and get some sleep.

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
:ep That couldn't have been fun, I hope it heals quickly and fully.

It does sound like you are keeping REAL busy!
Thanks Bruce. No, it wasn’t fun! However, the eye drops are helping and the pain is gone. The sty, which has been there since last February is going away too. So, that is a real plus!

Also good news about my left knee. The pain is a LOT less, so I won’t have to go to the doctor about it. :D

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our son came for an overnight visit last week. He was sitting in the recliner sofa, feet up, boots off, and Sentry cautiously approached and sniffed DS's feet. It was a big moment. :lol: Sentry licked a toe, sniffed again, then backed off to sit by me, on guard. :gig:gig

Next day, DS and I were sitting on the truck tailgate and he scooted over next to me and hugged me. Sentry immediately rose up and barked. I told him it was ok and he quieted down, but kept that stare on DS. I've had dogs that were devoted to me, but none that intensely guarded me like Sentry does.

When Sentry is in the house, he is where ever I am. In the kitchen, I step over him. If I am sitting in the recliner, he is under the footrest and I have to carefully lower the footrest before I can get up. If I am moving around, he positions himself where he can watch me. Outside, he is at my side. Once he satisfies himself that I am safe, he will go play with the other dogs, watch the sheep or go under the porch to cool off. If I am in the garden, he picks a shady spot outside the fence where he can be near to me.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol come on bay its obvious you belong to him how dare another male think he can touch you. Lol expecially one he doesn't approve of lol.