Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sentry hasn’t been feeling good. Nothing big I can point to, just little things that say something is wrong. In October of last year, he almost died. He hasn’t been happy, no sparkle in his eyes. He pants-a lot. No meeting me at the gate in the pasture and running along the fence line as I drive in. Good appetite, but something is wrong.

He spent a week in the hospital, on IV, and steroids.

I took Sentry to the vet this afternoon. I clipped a leash on him this morning when I let him out of the sheep lot and when he hiked his leg, I captured a urine sample.

His bilirubin levels were up and there was blood in his urine. Just like last time, only I caught it sooner. His bloodwork showed his white blood cells are a little low, not as bad as last time.

Sentry has antibiotics and prednisone to take. Prednisone brought him back to life and hopefully he can beat it again. The vet mentioned the possibility of an autoimmune disorder. Vet said to bring in another urine sample next week.

Sentry is in the sheep lot tonight. Tomorrow I’m going to bring in the big dog crate and set it up. I’ll try keeping him in the AC . He and Carson don’t get along.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sentry hasn’t been feeling good. Nothing big I can point to, just little things that say something is wrong. In October of last year, he almost died. He hasn’t been happy, no sparkle in his eyes. He pants-a lot. No meeting me at the gate in the pasture and running along the fence line as I drive in. Good appetite, but something is wrong.

He spent a week in the hospital, on IV, and steroids.

I took Sentry to the vet this afternoon. I clipped a leash on him this morning when I let him out of the sheep lot and when he hiked his leg, I captured a urine sample.

His bilirubin levels were up and there was blood in his urine. Just like last time, only I caught it sooner. His bloodwork showed his white blood cells are a little low, not as bad as last time.

Sentry has antibiotics and prednisone to take. Prednisone brought him back to life and hopefully he can beat it again. The vet mentioned the possibility of an autoimmune disorder. Vet said to bring in another urine sample next week.

Sentry is in the sheep lot tonight. Tomorrow I’m going to bring in the big dog crate and set it up. I’ll try keeping him in the AC . He and Carson don’t get along.
Sending prayers and a chat with St Francisis for him.
Could he have snacked on a small turtle??

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sending prayers and a chat with St Francisis for him.
Could he have snacked on a small turtle??
I asked the vet if that could have made him sick and he said no. That’s when he mentioned an autoimmune disorder.

If y’all have a sick or “off” dog and have a vet appointment, pen the dog up. Snap on a leash, walk them out to potty and take a container with lid. Taking a urine sample in saves time dithering around on a diagnosis. Keep in refrigerator until leaving for appointment.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looking up bilirubin level in dogs - is associated with liver function. A visible symptom is yellowing of the eye whites as well as blood in the urine. Was he up on his Leptospirosis vaccines? There is also a canine hepatitis vaccine which will prevent liver diseases resulting from contaminated water sources. Since Sentry loves the pond maybe he caught something from there. Maybe take a sample of the pond water to the vet to check if there is something in it that is causing his liver to produce excess bilirubin? I found this about liver disease treatment.

"If the cause is addressed before long-term damage occurs, the prognosis can be excellent. The liver is the only visceral organ known to regenerate, so in that respect it is truly remarkable.

. . . The most common medical management involves a higher carbohydrate/low protein diet to reduce the amount of circulating ammonia in the bloodstream, vitamin supplements, lactulose to bind toxins in the gut, antibiotics, and vitamin K if the patient has bleeding problems. It is essential that your veterinarian monitor your pet regularly if he or she has liver disease in order to control the symptoms."

Sounds like you can work with this to manage, if not cure, the problem. :fl :hugs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sentry is showing improvement this evening. I cooked chicken and rice into a mush, have him half the amount of kibble he normally gets and replaced it with chicken and rice.

@Ridgetop it’s funny that you mentioned the pond. I was thinking about taking a sample of it to the vet. He doesn’t swim in it like Buford, but will get a drink now and then. He would much rather go drink from the buckets of clean water in the sheep lot.

He has been inside all day, except for potty walks. He stays in the crate, occasionally comes out to lay on the big towel in the floor. He went out when I fed this evening, I put him in the field with Buford and Sheba. He actually ran to the front with Buford to bark, but came back. He is asleep in the crest now.

When we came back in the house, he growled at Carson. I thumped his butt and told him no.

Carson is confused by Sentry being in the house, and probably a little nervous. Sentry is aggressive towards Carson, so I’m watching him closely.

IMG_4346.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Carson is so smart. He’s trying to avoid Sentry. As pups, they were buddies and played together. Then balls dropped and male Anatolian kicked in. I had to separate them. Sentry threatens Carson from his side of the fence, growling and posturing. Carson is afraid of Sentry. Good thing there is a fence between them.

Now Sentry is in the house and Carson is trying to deal with it. He brings his toy to me from behind the recliner. We play. He sleeps behind the recliner, by the front door. Sentry is in front of the recliner, in the crate. Gate open, Sentry can come out and lay on a towel in front of the crate.

Carson has the separation worked out. He comes from behind the recliner and lays his big head on the arm for me to pet him.

IMG_4349.jpeg

Both dogs are sleeping now. LOL

IMG_4347.jpeg

IMG_4348.jpeg

Latest posts