Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A few days ago, I caught Sentry chasing lambs, not the newborns, but the 10 month old slaughter lambs. There is one in particular he targeted. I unloaded on him. Screaming NO NO NO and BAD BAD BAD and shaking my finger in his face, I chased him all over the pen. I threw his feed pan, hitting the fence and making a scary noise. I picked him up and dropped him on top of the lambs which were huddled in the corner, scared to the bejeebers at the raving lunatic I became. Sentry floundered on top of the lambs, they separated and he fell to the ground with me still screaming at him. I yelled at him some more, then left him to think on it while I did chores. His little face was wrinkled in deep thought. LOL

After I did chores, I let him out and we did our fence line walk, with me calling him to me about every 20 feet. I petted him to let him know that I wasn't mad at him. He was very subdued the rest of the day.

Later on, a pair of buzzards were circling, drawn by the smell of birthing lamb. Sentry stared upwards, watching intently following their flight, until they flew away. I was impressed and praised him. He recognized them as a potential threat. The only other dog I have that does that is Paris and she will leap in the air at birds of prey, snapping and barking.

That evening, as I was doing chores, Sentry was in the front pasture next to the barn. A tiny newborn (one of the stupid ones) popped through the cow panel, baaing piteously for her disinterested mother. Sentry's ears perked up, but he sat down. I had to chase the little lamb to a corner of the fence, where I grabbed her and returned her to her mother. Sentry never moved, watching with that wrinkled look on his face.

I have been turning him out with Ringo and his 2 ewes during the day and locking up the slaughter lambs at night, putting Sentry in the pen next to them. I work with him every day, usually twice a day.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have faith in Sentry - and you. Cowboy did a couple of stupid things growing up - but he got over 'em and I now trust that dog implicitly - with his critters and with myself. A couple of days ago I found a wayward baby pig that had wandered away from his mother. I picked up the piglet and took him toward his mama who heard his cries. She merely turned her head and took one step toward the piglet (and me) and Cowboy tore into that sow! He was not going to let her take another step toward me even though there was no aggression in her. He's such a great dog!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you @frustratedearthmother I remember what a stinker Cowboy was-a lovable stinker! He had his challenges, but you kept on teaching and loving him. Look at him now! Awesome dog, is Cowboy.

@Ridgetop Sentry is a thinker, he reasons things and is a smart boy. He is going to teach me as much as I teach him.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This afternoon BJ and were doing some cleanup in pasture #1. Ringo walked down a winged elm sapling, scratching his neck and chest. Then he decided to eat the leaves. Scratching and chomping leaves, he was funny. Sentry watched Ringo enjoying elm leaves and decided to try some too. We just laughed at them.

4C196555-03CA-4A5E-8012-A61A67CCCD73.jpeg

D24D8157-9BB3-49B2-9317-B88834A56AED.jpeg

05C23498-128F-4D2A-8631-8D40580232DD.jpeg

Trip and Carson wanted in the pasture, so did Paris. All 4 dogs ran up and down the fence at the road, keeping those pesky trucks and cars away. Carson and Sentry ran circles, burning off puppy energy. They tussled and played. Sentry loves his dog play time.

775F3265-9019-49AF-9E2F-8B059894B036.jpeg

59DAB26B-A866-4EF6-B18C-555ED1B4BD81.jpeg